Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing windows 10 on new PC?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Beepeear

Beepeear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:07 AM

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a custom build pc which met all my demands but it doesn't come with any OS installed.
I had the idea that you could just complete install it pretty straight forwardly, however after looking it up I realised it's kind of hard to understand what to do!

I have read a few people saying buy a product code and then install it via USB but you have to install something from windows first?

Or buy the CD and install it that way (at a higher cost)
What would you guys recommend and what is the process of installing Windows 10 onto a computer with no OS?

Thank you! And apologies for being a tech noob

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2016 - 07:53 AM.
Moved from Buying New to W10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:42 AM

You can actually just make your own USB flash drive (far cheaper than buying one with windows already on it) then at your own leisure buy a licence for it.

You dont necessarily have to jump up and buy your licence flat off, you have 90 days to buy a licence and you can get one from within windows

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

I bought a legal retail copy from Amazon...and installed it.

If you already downloaded the update version and made an install disk from it...that will also work for installing files but then I used the license which came with the install CD I purchased...to activate.

I don't believe that the above info is correct about having 90 days to activate if you are using the update version.

Louis

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:29 AM

The 90 trial is for the Enterprise version of Windows 10. That is so businesses can test before upgrading.

Don't know how you will be using the new computer. If it is for gaming then a free Linux wouldn't be the way to go for games

that only work on a Windows platform.

Otherwise, you might want to test drive a FREE Linux distro such as Ubuntu 16.04.1. You can do that without installing

it on the hdd. Install it on a flash drive or dvd using another computer and run as live. For more info visit BC's Linux Forum.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

The short answer is that you would use the Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create either a bootable USB drive or DVD and go about installing "in the usual way."  Details are available on the page noted.

You will need to have a license key in order to activate Windows 10 legally on a permanent basis.  I am not absolutely certain whether that's needed in order to complete the initial installation or not, and Microsoft isn't clear about that on the pages related to installation that are part of the page previously noted.  In any case, you will have to buy a Windows 10 license key at some point, and sooner rather than later if you wish to have a fully functional Windows 10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:26 AM

The 90 trial is for the Enterprise version of Windows 10. That is so businesses can test before upgrading.

Don't know how you will be using the new computer. If it is for gaming then a free Linux wouldn't be the way to go for games

that only work on a Windows platform.

Otherwise, you might want to test drive a FREE Linux distro such as Ubuntu 16.04.1. You can do that without installing

it on the hdd. Install it on a flash drive or dvd using another computer and run as live. For more info visit BC's Linux Forum.

Yeah I was trying to find the time you need to activate windows 10 and 90 days came up my apologies.

Anyhow I am with you, go linux if you are not going to game

Edited by MadmanRB, 25 November 2016 - 11:27 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

+1 on linux if you do not game but with one caveat. If you have a printer, a scanner, or any other device you connect to the computer make sure drivers are available. The linux forum would be the place to ask any questions as already posted.

#8 Beepeear

Beepeear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

Hello all!

Thank you for all your replies.

What I did was, I downloaded a tool straight from windows and installed an ISO. file which can be used to boot another device so I downloaded that file and then burned it onto a disk.

Hopefully this has done the trick and should boot up when I receive my new computer.

Just a question, when the computer is loading shall I press F12 then just select "boot from CD" or something similar?

thanks

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:22 PM

Should work but if anything goes wrong try a pendrive

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

Regardless of what external media you are using, USB Drive or DVD, you are going to have to change your boot order in UEFI such that the correct device is first in the boot order.

Different manufacturers have different ways of making UEFI appear if there is an OS installed on the machine and yours should come with that information.  If there is not one installed you should get some sort of indication of the need to assign a valid boot device (in this case the external drive for the install) and how to do that when the computer can't boot at all.  Also watch the bottom of the splash screen that is certain to show up, which usually indicates the function keys used to tweak settings and boot order.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users