Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

New Firefox (user) created an incorrect string...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 leis

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:32 AM

I was following along a you tube video where i attempted to create an Integrar  but hit String in error and created this:

content.notify.backoffcount     and then the name was typed in just as i already have (here) and then the insertion of a 5 was put in and that should have been that. However, i noticed from video i accidently hit String...not the Integar field and now i have to delete it and i was wondering how i can do that as even with the Help menu, i wasn't able to clarify what i was looking for. I hope if I have here, with this, please let me know of a fix as I have already refreshed the Firefox already and created a old firefox folder now attached to the desktop and i would obviously not like to have to refresh once again and need to get better acquainted with functions of the browswer. It's taken me over 2 hours already to just get the home and search engine of Start Page lined up, then followed the video to increase or make FF faster.

It's a lot like the registry in windows 7 of this browser is what it reminded me as far as in the content (preferences(?)) and it may turn out to be refreshing browser after all if i can't delete or take ownership of this String i created in error when hitting the incorrect word and i believe it should have been Integrar or gar.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:46 AM

Hi, @leis:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I completely understand the problem you're reporting with Firefox (nor do I know what an "integrar" or a "gar") is.

I'm not sure what you were trying to change or how you were trying to change it -- perhaps you are in the Firefox configurations page at "about:config"??

If so, there's a reason why users are shown a warning about messing with those settings -- changing them around without a good idea of what one is doing can seriously break Firefox.

So all I can offer is some general advice.

First, Firefox "out of the box" is plenty fast, especially on a modern system with good hardware.  There's generally no need to perform complicated tweaks or fixes (e.g. from 3rd-party YT videos) to make it faster.

While it can be easily and extensively customized by both adjusting its built-in settings and by installing extensions (a.k.a. "add-ons") and themes, at some point, one risks the chance of creating performance issues by having too many add-ons, conflicting add-ons, outdated/unsupported add-ons, etc.

There is another overlay with "global" plug-ins (installed system-wide on the computer, rather than directly into Firefox), and with one's security applications (anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, custom hosts file, etc.)  They, too, can impact performance.

Most problems with Firefox originate in the user's profile, not in the program itself.    So reinstalling Firefox will not always fix a profile problem, unless one deletes one's personal data/profile when one uninstalls the program.  The user's profile needs to be either fixed or (if corruption is severe) replaced with a new one.

However, if you did make changes in "about:config", something may be broken there, too.

Without a good understanding of your exact issue or how it was created, it's hard to provide specific advice on how to fix it.

Here are two of the best resources for step-wise, logical troubleshooting.  The steps range from merely diagnostic (such as Mozilla Safe Mode -- not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode) to more "invasive" (resetting Firefox to creating a new profile to a totally clean, from scratch reinstall + new profile).

I suggest working your way through these to try to isolate and (if possible) resolve your issue:

Also, for the record, to avoid getting into these sorts of predicaments, it's advisable to backup one's profile BEFORE making changes to it (installing new add-ons, changing settings, tweaking "about"config" settings, etc.)  There are many ways to do this, both manually and using 3rd-party add-ons, such as FEBE.

That way, if something goes South, one can recover quickly.

So, if you can please clarify for us WHAT you were trying to accomplish, HOW you were trying to accomplish it, and WHAT problems you are now seeing (perhaps with a screen shot of the error message), that would help us to better help you.

Beyond that, I suggest trying the tutorials linked above.

Please let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn,

#3 leis

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:18 AM

Hello and thanks a lot for your detailed reply to my vague topic and i'll try to address further in a followup to this reply this coming week since Holiday weekend's ending late and I'm responding to your response and I hope you understand.

Yes, I didn't clarify too much of what I think I did incorrectly input in the about:config. Re-reading your reply, I  can  tell that it's a good idea either way, to go ahead and have the FF installment diagnostic or from what appears to be what you may be suggesting and providing the link that I will take a look at too!

Since as you say, the latest version or that's my input but no need to input complicated tweaks with the current Firefox browser!

So, with that, I'm going to follow your links and follow up to this after that to more or less report back, if you don't mind and not to drag out this open topic, it can be faded down and I'll still like to reply a little bit as to fixing or having a run of the diagnostic feature goes.  

Thanks again!  Till then,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users