Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely slow shutdown

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:12 AM

Does anyone have any tips on how to work out what is causing my computer to take ages to shut down?

Just recently my computer has started taking ages to shut down. I run Windows 7 64, and the system drive is an SSD, so startup and shutdown has always been extremely quick. Startup is still no problem, but the shutdown process goes on for ages - 5 to 10 minutes sometimes. There are no error messages during shutdown - none of the standard messages about waiting for programs to close etc. Everything goes fine until it reaches the message that says "Shutting down", and then the little circle goes round and round and round and round......

The things I have tried so far are:
  • Installed all outstanding Windows Updates
  • Downloaded and ran latest version of CCleaner - also ran the Registry clean option.
  • Ran full scans with Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials and HitmanPro (no threats found)
  • Ran AdwCleaner - no threats found
  • Ran JRT - only things removed were Local Extensions Settings in Chrome and Temporary Internet files and folders.
  • Downloaded Ultimate Windows Tweaker v2 and used it to enable Verbose Status Message. This did not provide any extra information when my computer was shutting down.
  • Set Ultimate Windows Tweaker to delete pagefile at shutdown. This did not help, so restored the original settings.
  • Downloaded latest version of All-in-one-Windows-Repair from Tweaking.com. Went through the entire process as set out, step by step. The only errors reported were when running SFC. The message directed me to the CBS.log file. I looked at this but could not make any sense of it.
  • Did complete scan of the system drive using Seatools - System drive is ST240HMO (SSD). All tests came up fine.
  • Ran Windows Disk Cleanup, including system files.
  • Removed all unnecessary programs that sit in the system tray.
None of this has made any difference. I'm stumped about what to try next.
The real-time security programs I run are Malwarebytes, MB Anti-Exploit, MB Anti-Ransomeware, Microsoft Security Essentials

Edited by hamluis, 28 November 2016 - 01:03 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:49 AM

Hello,

Have you made any significant changes to your computer prior to this?

First things first, here's a quote from Animal, one of our Site Admins:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Second, please try shutting down your computer manually by doing this:

• Save any unsaved work.

• Copy the following:

shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f

• Press and hold the Windows Key + R on keyboard. This opens Run.

• Paste what you copied two steps ago. Your computer will shutdown, any faster?

Third, let's try editing the registry.

WARNING: Editing the registry cannot be dangerous! Please backup the registry, all your files, and create a system restore point!

• Please follow Brink's excellent tutorial at Seven Forums:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/717-shut-down-speed-up.html

It'll be easier to follow an expert's instructions. :) Do also check out the links under "Related Tutorials".

Fourth, if the above doesn't work, please try restarting your computer in Safe Mode. Then shut it down again. Results?

Fifth, if you are still having trouble, please run Speccy for us to have a closer look:

• Download Speccy from here.

• Right-click on the ZIP file and click Extract all. Hit Next. Open up the extracted folder, right click on Speccy64.exe, and select Run as administrator.

• Click File, then click Publish Snapshot.

• Hit Yes to the Publish Snapshot dialog, then click Copy to Clipboard. Paste the URL in your next reply. 

Good luck!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

If you can, also provide us with the usable contents of the CBS.log file.

Open up a command prompt (type cmd in the Start menu search bar) and enter

findstr /c:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will save a text file called sfcdetails.txt to your desktop. Copy and past the contents into your comment.

#4 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:39 AM

Thankyou for the replies.

I ran sflatechguy's command from an elevated command prompt (it wouldn't work from a normal command prompt), but the file it produced (sfcdetails.txt) is totally blank.

​I ran sfc again, in case I had inadvertently deleted something, and this time the scan came back with the message "no errors found".

bwv848's Instructions:

Edited by skypilotpete, 26 November 2016 - 04:54 AM.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

Hi, :)

It's "good" news that it isn't quite as slow in Safe Mode. There must be a service or program that's causing all of this. Please perform a clean boot for diagnostic purposes. Instructions are here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

You may have to scroll down for Windows 7.

P.S. The System File Checker utility can only be run from an Elevated Command Prompt. If you run it without administrator privileges, you'll get this message:

You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:59 AM

After following the instructions for a clean boot, and then restarting the computer, the next shut down was almost instantaneous.

I look forward to the next instructions.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

Great. :) Now we know that a third-party program/service is causing all of this.

Unfortunately, the only way to figure out what exactly is causing the problem will take some time. Here are instructions from Microsoft:

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program.

Scroll down to Determine what is causing the problem. You may have to ignore some of the instructions — I know you are clever enough. :) Basically, enable some services, then see what happens. If everything is fine, enable more services. Same with startups.

P.S. Sorry, but the formatting got messed up when I tried to quote it. I'm in a bit of a hurry here...

Edited by bwv848, 27 November 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#8 hklamgary

hklamgary

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:03 PM

Oh! skypilotpete

I found you have same issue with me.

This issue started around 20 Nov 2016. And this affected my family PC also.

Now I tried many way included clean install Win 7 to find how to solve.

My final finding is, remove MSE and the shuting down time will become normal !

Edited by hklamgary, 27 November 2016 - 11:04 PM.

#9 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:12 AM

After hours of tedious turning on and turning off my computer, I have finally identified the culprit. It is MB3Service, which is Malwarebytes Anti Ransomware. There doesn't seem any doubt, as I have tested it multiple times, with everything enabled except for MB3Service, and everything disabled except for MB3Service. Without this service, my computer shuts down almost instantanously. With this service enabled, it takes around 10 minutes to shut down. I have had a look at the Malwarebytes forum, and I am not the only person experiencing this issue.

I will continue my search for a fix over at the Malwarebytes forums, as I imagine that that is the most appropriate place.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll be back if there is any development in this issue.

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:22 AM

Hi:

After hours of tedious turning on and turning off my computer, I have finally identified the culprit. It is MB3Service, which is Malwarebytes Anti Ransomware. There doesn't seem any doubt, as I have tested it multiple times, with everything enabled except for MB3Service, and everything disabled except for MB3Service. Without this service, my computer shuts down almost instantanously. With this service enabled, it takes around 10 minutes to shut down. I have had a look at the Malwarebytes forum, and I am not the only person experiencing this issue.

I will continue my search for a fix over at the Malwarebytes forums, as I imagine that that is the most appropriate place.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll be back if there is any development in this issue.

MBARW-BETA is beta software.

There are quite a few similar reports of slow startup and slow shutdown (and other issues) over at their forum.

The technology has been rolled into the new version 3 of their flagship anti-malware program (currently also in public beta testing).

With any luck, they'll smooth things out before they ship the new program (Malwarebytes Malwarebytes 3.0 (they dropped the "Anti-Malware" moniker)) as RTM.

HERE is the MBARW-BETA forum: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/forum/172-malwarebytes-anti-ransomware-beta/

(They will probably ask to collect some logs and then to cleanly reinstall the program...)

Cheers,

MM

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:20 AM

Glad we managed to get the issue sorted out together. You're welcome — we're here to help! :) In the mean time, I would remove Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware, or at least disable MB3Service in Services.msc. Consider using CryptoPrevent for ransomware protection if you do so. Here's a quote from quietman7, one of our Global Moderators and a security expert about it:

CryptoPrevent is a security tool that writes 200+ group policy object rules into the registry in order to prevent executables in specific locations from running. CryptoPrevent can be used to lock down any Windows OS to prevent infection by crypto ransomware which encrypts personal files and then offers decryption for a paid ransom. CryptoPrevent artificially implants hundreds of group policy object rules into the registry in order to block executables (*.exe, *.com *.scr and *.pif) and fake file extension executables in certain locations (i.e. %AppData%, %LocalAppData%, %userprofile%, %programdata%, Recycle Bin, Startup Folder) from running. Due to the way that CryptoPrevent works, it protects against a wide variety of malware and ransomware. There are several levels of protection but most users only need to use the default setting - "Set it and forget it" protection. The Free Edition allows you to manually check for updates regularly by using the update function inside the program. CryptoPrevent Premium offers automatic updates to the program and definitions, email alerts, and customized prevention rules for a one time low price.

CryptoPrevent has a filter module (in the installer version) which allows you to apply (enable) or disable suspicious program filtering for .cpl, .scr and .pif files which are executable files. This option is found by opening CryptoPrevent and selecting Advanced > show Advanced Options at the top. The portable version does NOT include the Filter Module...you must get the installer version to use that feature.

You should periodically check for and update to the latest version using the program’s internal update function in the top menu to stay current with the latest methodology in preventing this (and other) malware. After update, re-apply the protection to your system. It is not necessary to undo the previous protection before doing this, or even to uninstall the app before updating. If you have an older version of the app before the update functionality was introduced, just download and install the latest version, then re-apply protection.

Plus, if you decide to purchase the premium version, all BleepingComputer members get 30% off!

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

CryptoPrevent is a good supplement to add but not a replacement for Malwarebytes Anti Ransomware Beta. Be sure to report the issue as advised by MoxieMomma in Post #10 so the developers can fix it if you have not done so already.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

CryptoPrevent is a good supplement to add but not a replacement for Malwarebytes Anti Ransomware Beta.

Thanks for pointing that out, quietman7!!! You are truly the world's security genius!

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:27 PM

I appreciate your sentiments but wouldn't put it that way. However, I do try to educate folks. :)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

:hysterical: You are so humble!!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users