Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cbs.log error in sfc /scannow

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fau100

fau100

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:48 PM

so i was getting this weird thing happening in windows 8.1 pro host proccess for windows task would cause high cpu usage so then i ran sfc /scannow in cmd as administrator and it found windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. details included in the cbs.log windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log. for example c:\windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log. note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.  

i ran into this error 10 days ago and at that time i just reinstalled window 8.1 and it was fine but it came back again so i just figured if i reinstalled windows 8.1 pro again it would just happen again so i looked for another solution 

so i ran dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth and it seemed to fix the error but my question is if i ran the installation disk would dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth effect the windows 8.1 pro installation disk or am i okay?

and i have no idea what caused this in the first place i do stop windows update from running in task manager could this be what is causing it?

Edited by fau100, 24 November 2016 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

What media did you use when you reinstalled the operating system?

A fresh install of the operating system from reliable media should have resolved this problem.  Because this didn't I would suspect that either the media was corrupt or there is a problem with the hdd.

You can a hdd diagnostic to see if there is a problem with the hdd.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

The other possibility is corrupt installation media.  You can use the Media Creation Tool to create the installation media for either a DVD or flash drive.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:00 PM

so the disk could be corrupted how?

#4 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

and here is the result http://pasteboard.co/2nfm1Dx5B.jpg

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:23 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please run chkdsk /r, or chkdsk /f if you are using a SSD.

To run chkdsk /r in Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt, if this is a SSD you do not want to run the /r switch, you will want to use chkdsk /f then press Enter.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.  Do not stop this scan as this can damage your operating system.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EQu3vZSFf1igldIQ8XhtTCZ

also the psu is a evga supernova 550 gs 550 watts

here is the speccy thing doing the hard drive thing now

also i have found out the host process for windows task is connected to windows automatic maintenance it doesnt seem to start until a maintenance check starts

chkdsk /r is for hard drive not ssd?

and will it damage my system if i end task on "host process for windows task" while its running?

and will "host process for windows task" comeback?

Edited by fau100, 28 November 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

When you did the fresh installation where did you get the installation media to do this?

Just for future use, you can do a Refresh which basically reinstalls the operating system.  The beauty of this is the fact that this will not effect your data.  But... it will uninstall any third party programs you have installed.

The Speccy looks normal, nothing stands out that could be considered problematic.

chkdsk can be run on both a hdd and a ssd.  The one difference is that with a ssd you do not want to use the /r switch.  With a ssd you want to use the following command chkdsk /f.

If you decide that you want to run this you need to open the Command Prompt and type in the command above, then press Enter.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Select Y and press Enter.

This will take a while to run.  Do not stop the scan, this can cause damage.

#8 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:27 PM

i used the windows 8.1 pro retail installation disk to do the fresh installation the disk can get software damage?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:44 AM

It does appear that the hdd is healthy which only leaves the installation media as a possible culprit it the problem is software related.  You posted that you used a retail disc of Windows 8.1, so this media should have been good and the results what you would expect.

Please post your sfc /scannow log.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.   

Please noticeThis log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Double click on this icon to open the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your dropbox account and post the link in your topic.

Your initial complaint was high CPU usage.  Please open the Task Manager with the Process tab selected.  Use the snipping tool to create an image of the CPU, Memory, and Disk columns.  You will need to make as much as four images to cover the entire columns.  Use the instructions below to post the images in your topic.  Please note:  I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it contains.  This is why you need to post these images in your topic.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

#10 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

after which will it be okay to delete the cbs desktop icon?

Edited by fau100, 02 December 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:36 AM

Why would you want to delete the CBS log.  It takes up a very small amount of space. the largest file I have is 2.6KB.  There are times when it is good to be able to compare CBS logs.  But this is entirely up to you.

#12 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:55 AM

so deleting it wont cause damage? also any free place to pst the txt document?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:38 AM

1. so deleting it wont cause damage?

2. also any free place to pst the txt document?

1. No, it will not cause any damage by deleting the log.  I just hope you don't need it for a future comparison to a later log.

2. This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

#14 fau100

fau100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

okay i signed up with dropbox and i uploaded everything but i cant seem to share a link also while looking in the event logs i came across dbxsvc failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) the system cannot find the file specific

Edited by fau100, 04 December 2016 - 10:41 AM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

You can find instructions for creating a link to dropbox files you wish to share here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users