Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard question hp8540W should be easy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:05 AM

Hello everyone, I've got a simple question. I'm trying to solve my checksum invalid (502)error code which I've already tried multiple solutions with no resolve. Cmos battery of course, Bios reflash windows registry is not the issue since it was a clean machine with no windows when happening and still does after a fresh install of win7. So my question is once I get the CPU and driver off is the motherboard universal with all other 8540W boards? MUchas Gracias my neighbors thanks for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:23 AM

I'm not sure I understand the question/topic.  No ohter system components have anything to do with replacing the RTC/CMOS battery, other than relating to gaining access to the battery and removing it.

A failing CMOS battery is cured by simiply replacing the battery with another CR2032

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02294113

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bios-Battery-3V-with-plug-Cable-CR2032-CMOS-Batterie-for-HP-8540w-8540p-8440p-/252207008456

http://www.genuine-cmos-battery.com/hp-elitebook-8540w-cmos-battery.html

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:08 AM

First, will your computer boot into Windows or not?

Second, list what you attempted without success so responders do not waste their time suggesting things you have already tried.

Third, did you attempt to flash the BIOS?

once I get the CPU and driver off is the motherboard universal with all other 8540W boards?

Why are you removing the CPU and heatsink? I am not sure what you mean by the term "driver"...a driver is a software program that enables a piece of equipment to function and communicate with the CPU.

I believe that this unit is a notebook computer, and if you have no experience in opening it and removing components tread carefully, they are easy to break and difficult to work on.

Edited by ranchhand_, 24 November 2016 - 10:24 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

No ohter system components have anything to do with replacing the RTC/CMOS battery, other than relating to gaining access to the battery and removing it.

Louis

On the contrary, yes there is. It is the cmos chip that could be source of issue.

First, will your computer boot into Windows or not?
Second, list what you attempted without success so responders do not waste their time suggesting things you have already tried.
Third, did you attempt to flash the BIOS?

once I get the CPU and driver off is the motherboard universal with all other 8540W boards?

Why are you removing the CPU and heatsink? I am not sure what you mean by the term "driver"...a driver is a software program that enables a piece of equipment to function and communicate with the CPU.
I believe that this unit is a notebook computer, and if you have no experience in opening it and removing components tread carefully, they are easy to break and difficult to work on.
My question had to do more with the compatibility of one supposed universal motherboard for both elitebooks. Apparently, the 8540W does in fact have its own separate from that of the one dedicated to the 8540p.

Thanks for trying guys!

Edited by allstock, 25 November 2016 - 10:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users