Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I run a few standalone update installers before restarting ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:36 AM

We have taken some of the guidance to download the several individual update items as their standalone update installers, and run each one at a time and restart after each one.  This is generally working, with a few frustrating odd effects during the shutdown-restarts; but working effectively.  Still, very slow process getting each of the set of updates installed for the month.

CAN WE run maybe three or four or five installers one at a time, WITHOUT computer restarts in between, but do the restart AFTER the few standalone update installers have been run?  Will this work?  Will this hurt anything?   Many of the individual shutdown-restarts just take a very long time.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:51 AM

I wouldn't suggest doing this, some updates are not complete until after the reboot, and proceeding with later updates under those conditions could possibly cause unexpected outcomes.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:38 AM

You CAN do this but it is better to restart after every update to avoid any conflicts that cause the updates to fail to install.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:03 AM

Hi,

It depends of the updates you need to install, for example the list on this page http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-09.htm that can be installed to resolve the problem of Windows Updates can be installed without rebooting.

The only requirement is that you manually stop the Windows Update service before installing the next update.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

If you're talking about monthly updates that speed up the search for other monthly updates, there is actually only one per month anyway (e.g. KB3198234 for October). Dalai does not test on Vista, so you are actually better off following Imacri's posts here. If everyone kept a backup image like I do, there would be no need to ever reinstall Vista and run half a dozen standalone installers. But if anyone has successfully updated a fresh install of Vista SP2 without restarting after each standalone installer is run, then I too would be interested in hearing about that.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:28 PM

This months updates for Vista listed on wu.krelay.de/en or the ones suggested for this month which imacri recommends did nothing for my running of Windows Update to search for updates available.

This month and last month, I have looked in the list I previously said, and more recently started using the  "....portal..."  site to more easily pick the updates that I should need; and then I run the installers one at a time with the restarts in between, and in numerical order according to the KB numbers.  I have strictly (almost) avoided running any of them out of order.

I am trying to find the address to the "portal" microsoft site which had the Download button on the right, but I cannot find it.  I only find these:

Which are good, but seem to be the same.

I kept a Favorites for the site I am looking for with the Download buttons and the "portal" at the beginning of the website name address on another computer.

Edited by cafejose, 24 November 2016 - 03:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users