Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to completely stop "Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry"?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ncage

Ncage

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:11 PM

Guys this thing is like a virus. No matter what i try to do this thing always comes back :warrior: . There are plenty of tutorials on the internet going through all the steps on how to avoid the privacy violations that is windows 10. What services to disable, what registry keys to set, ect. I even tried to a github project that tries to do everything to get rid of these privacy violations in windows 10:

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking

What even makes me angrier  than the privacy violation is the how much resources from your pc this stuff can suck down. I'm a heavy vm user. I generally use the latest version of vmware workstation. It seems like everyday i'm asking myself why my vm is so dog slow and i open task manager only to find out that the "Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry" service is sucking all my disk and/or cpu resources. I don't have the luxury to host all my vms on SSDs but for the most party the vm shouldn't still be starved for disk resources because it will have the entire disk to itself and all of my disk are fairly recent 7200rpm disks. VMs will of course always be somewhat resource constrained compared to a regular pc but running 1-2 vms on a high end pc with plenty of ram should not be to much to ask.

Anyways after i tried to disable everything i could as far as telemetry is concerned i rebooted and i took a screenshot  (attached). This isn't even near the highest resource utilization i've seen. A lot of times it will be hogging ~90% of the CPU and i've commonly see it hog > 90% of the disk. You can see from the sceenshot that the cpu is struggling (red highlighting around the column). I wasn't doing anything on the vm at the time. I didn't even have a browser open. My AV is windows defender. The only other background task i have running is dropbox which was already synced (haven't updated any files for awhile). 

I've considered renaming the executable but that might totally screw up windows. I don't know. With the current test tonight i'm running an I7-3770 with 32GB memory.. The VM was allocated 8GB memory and 4 vCPUs. It was the only vm running and i wasn't doing much on the host PC. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  mct.PNG   82.32KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:21 PM

I'm not sure you can completely stop Windows 10 telemetry, only reduce it,  but check here.

#3 Ncage

Ncage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:14 AM

I'm not sure you can completely stop Windows 10 telemetry, only reduce it,  but check here.

I was assuming with the enterprise version (which is what i'm running) it was possible but i guess i was wrong....

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

The Enterprise edition will let you disable telemetry using group policy.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-telemetry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users