Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R- Home Dvd Source Disc Won't Burn To R+ Media?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

First, we purchased the MX50 - M5 toshiba in Feb and just had time to set it up with the programs off our 3 yr old toshiba satellite 2410 which is operating great and is still very reliable.

We installed all of the same programs as is on the 2410 and then I began to try to burn a R+ disc from my source home dvd which was a R- ( this was an edited dvd of a family occasion done by a professional co.)

The notebook drive was indicated to be a DVD Super Multi layer +- R drive and according to the manual this is confirmed.
However, when I attempted to do the above on the notebook, I got the message that I had to insert a R- disc.
I did this and the burn was successful.

I then went back and tried to burn to an R+ from this same source R- family dvd to my BenQ 162I external burner and had the same problem, the message on the screen asked for an R- disc. :thumbsup:

(I should say that several different brands of R+ media were tried in the notebook and in the BenQ external burner.)

I quit this project and repeated this with my 3 year old satellite 2410 that I am using for this post and the burn to an R+ Maxell, Sony, TDK, BenQ (10) were all successful. 5 done on the notebook itself and 5 on the external 162I external burner.
I have had this BenQ burner since December and burned over 100 backups and no coasters. I am very happy with the burner and I have checked with BenQ support out of Irvine Ca and all of my firmware and drivers are uptodate. It is recommended by BenQ tech support to use any of the above R+ media with their Book Management exe. as they have been tested in their factory and it has been my experience of the past 8 months that using what BenQ recommended has my burned discs successfully playing in our families diverse standalone players and thus I want to continue to use the R+ media.

The software tech at our accounting firm checked with toshiba and they suggested to Ghost the new notebook and use the system restore disc so that it is basically as it was when I unboxed it.

He did this and tried different R+ media that he had that is of good quality and tried my same media as well all of which are R+, that is over 6 brands of media and he got the same problem.
He talked to level 2 tech support at toshiba and the tech indicated that it is likely a major hardware problem as the unit should burn R+ media. He advised to take it back to the store and so I did.

The store sent it back to their toshiba qualified tech's and I am supposed to hear from one next week. The instore tech said that it is likely the "drive" needs replacement.

What I am wondering is this, the Level 2 tech a toshiba phone support said" that it is like the notebook drive is not talking to an R+ disc in its drive nor is it talking to a R+ disc in the External BenQ burner." It will read the R- home dvd but it will not burn it to a R+ dvd which the 3 year old Toshiba 2410 satellite that I am using successfully did and continues to do as I did some more burning today from R- source discs to R+ discs.

Is it reasonable that replacement of this drive will fix this problem or could it be another hardware issue as suggested by the Level 2 toshiba support tech over the phone????

I can't understand any of this.

I look forward to comments, thankyou.

Edited by georgia, 25 August 2006 - 07:23 PM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:24 AM

I have a comment to add to this. Just recent info from the computer tech at the toshiba depot. I was advised that a new optical drive has been ordered for my notebook which i purchased in Jan of this year as described in detail in my prior post.
I just set the notebook up with my new programs added and was planning on using the satellite 2410 for smaller projects, however am again using it full time.
As described the software tech at the office took out all of my programs and did a clean Restoration via the disc that comes with the unit and it did not resolve the inability to burn R+ DVD's which toshiba confirmed it should do.

The tech said that after they install the new optical drive which will take 14 days to complete after the order for the part is placed, then installed and tested. However, he did not say for certain that this would resolve the problem. He actually did not confirm when I asked him if this would fix the problem. He didn't say anything inspite of my pressing him.

Since I am not a tech knowledgeable user, and considerable time is passing waiting for the repair I am wondering what else could be the issue with the notebook that could cause this problem. I would think that the tech should have some other ideas that he could have told me.

I really kick myself for not setting the notebook up earlier, however the nature of my work did not allow me the time to do so until my summer holidays and thus I set it up within the recent past weeks. Had I set it up in January (8 months ago) I would have found out then that it was not working properly in terms of burning R+ media. However time did not permit me to do this and really the computer is new as I just started to try to use it.

All comments would be appreciated as I am wondering if this part fails what else they will be looking at and ordering parts for and which would again take more time.

It seems to me that they should know what is the problem, after all the notebook is now exactly as it came out of the box and I am going to have a fair job just resetting it up again and if their repair time lingers on like this with uncertainty of a sure cure I am not going to be a happy camper.

All replies would be greatly appreciated, thankyou.

Edited by georgia, 01 September 2006 - 05:31 AM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users