Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone stopped working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joezapp

joezapp

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:16 PM

Hi. I use Skype on my Vista laptop. The last call I made was on Saturday with no issues. I tried to make a call today, and I am not heard. I tried the Skype voice testing service, and sure enough, the mic isn't working. It's an external mic. It IS on, and it IS plugged in. I tried another to no avail.

In Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage Audio Devices > Recording, the microphone shows as "currently unavailable". 

I have no idea how this happened, but I did remember that this happened to me 2 years ago on a different laptop. I performed a thorough cleanup of that laptop, and the mic started working again. No such luck here.

Since this is my second experience with this issue, I'm thinking that it must be a common issue, and that someone may have the solution to get my external mic working again? I appreciate any help. Thanks... 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

Try updating the driver
  1. Connect to the Internet.
  2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  3. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  4. Right-click the name of the sound hardware and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software and wait for Windows to update the driver software.
  6. Windows checks to see if updated driver software is available.
    If an update is available, let Windows install the update.
  7. When the update is installed successfully, a Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device window displays.
    Test the microphone.
Works now?

#3 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:46 PM

Thanks TsVk! So before I go ahead and do that, here is what I have found today:

Today it says in Sound > Recording...      Microphone     SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio     Working

This is a bit strange because my external microphone wasn't plugged in. I can only assume I have a built-in mic that I didn't know about?

So the green bars move when I speak both with and without my external mic plugged in. And in the Skype call-test, it's green bars move when I speak both with and without my external mic plugged in. 

But Skype gives me an error. NO MICROPHONE DETECTED. Further, it tells me that Skype "cannot access my sound card". 

So I guess I need to know why Skype can't access my sound card. And why the green bars do move though I can't be heard.

Thanks so much for your help with this...

Edited by joezapp, 30 November 2016 - 10:47 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:58 PM

Most laptops have a built in microphone these days.

That sounds like a Skype problem rather than a Windows one. Have you tried fiddling with the settings/configuration in Skype?

You could restore your system back to before this issue occurred also, that should work.

#5 joezapp

joezapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:58 AM

I learned a lot from this episode! My prior laptop did not have a built-in mic. Turns out that this one does and I never knew it! I've been using an external mic for no reason the past 17 months, lol.

So you were indeed correct. This was a Skype problem rather than Windows (Or was it? I'll explain in the last paragraph). I found out by recording a message in Windows Sound Recorder that a recording could be made with success. Microsoft fixed my issue by taking over my computer and changing the "Skype App" and uninstalling my current version of Skype and installing a more compatible version with my OS. So it would appear that my Skype update may have been the issue.

However, that doesn't explain why, as I said in my original post, the microphone was showing as "currently unavailable" in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage Audio Devices > Recording. It happened briefly again today before Microsoft took over. So I'm good to go right now, but this may resurface. I may have to update the drivers still. We'll see.

But in the meantime, thanks so much for your help!

Edited by joezapp, 01 December 2016 - 12:59 AM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:48 AM

Glad it worked out mate. I learned something here too. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users