Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to creat a Symbolic link pointing to a different hard drive partion??

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 John-Mack

John-Mack

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hello all,

I have recently installed Mint 18. I am new to Linux and am sure this is a very basic question but I have searched around for a while and can't seem to figure out how to create a shortcut on my desktop that points to a different drive partition. I have a 2 tb hdd with 3 partitions on it, one is Windows, one is Mint and the third is my pictures. I want the shortcut to point to the partition with the pictures on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks  John.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:21 PM

What is your desktop environment (DE)?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 John-Mack

John-Mack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:34 PM

Thank you for your quick reply!!
I am using the Mate desktop.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:43 PM

I think you have to install mate-tweak here which will allow you to have mounted drives on your desktop.

Dont quote me on that as i didnt use mint 18 Mate for that long

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 John-Mack

John-Mack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

Thank you for your quick reply!!
I am using the Mate desktop.

#6 John-Mack

John-Mack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

Ok, thank you I will look into this.
I was little hesitant to post this topic because it seemed like a basic task,so I'm glad it's not as simple as I thought it was going to be thus making me look like a complete idiot!!

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:52 PM

No its fine, you are new to the OS so ask around.

As long as you dont ask "where is the blue E!" I think we are fine :D

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

Hi, John Mack.

Shame you weren't using Puppy Linux.....it has all your connected drives showing on the desktop at all times!

(One of Pup's little quirks....  :lol: )

I hate to say it, but the 'buntu-based distros are not really as easy to use, in many of these basic respects, as many folks would have you believe. Not without 'tweaking', and faffing about.....

From what I remember, Ubuntu's Unity desktop will show USB connected drives. Not sure about the hard drive partitions.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 24 November 2016 - 03:39 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 John-Mack

John-Mack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:18 PM

Mike,
Thanks for your input and help!! I have tried a couple of the puppy distros and found them to work quite well, however I am trying to convert my wife and kids to a Linux based system from their familiar XP computers. After test driving multiple distros I settled on Mint because it seems somewhat like Windows and with Mints popularity I rely heavily on folks like you for advice.

Long story short!! I found Puppy to work great but it's just a little to different as far as trying to sell Linux to the rest of the family, and trust me it's been an uphill battle..

Thanks again

#10 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

I'm on Mint 18 at the moment, and it shows my one 240GB SSD as 3 different partitions, but i have 3 OS's on here. i formatted one to FAT32 and then restarted, once it booted back up the 53 GB partition was on the desktop for me as empty.

Not sure if you will have the same experience or not but i figured that may help somewhat.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#11 John-Mack

John-Mack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Viper Security!!

I can make a link to the partiton onto the desktop but after a reboot it goes away!!

I will spend some more time looking into this and also try installing the "tweak" tool as mentioned above.

Thanks again..   John

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:25 AM

Hi, John_Mack.

Mm. Yes, if you're trying to sell it to the rest of your family (and they're used to XP) then even as a die-hard Puppy user I would recommend Mint.

Puppy's a brilliant little distro.....but it's rather different (even by Linux standards)!  :lol:

But if you try Puppy as your very first distro straight from XP, it probably wouldn't be such a struggle.....

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:07 AM

I can make a link to the partiton onto the desktop but after a reboot it goes away!!

Whereas in Windows all partitions are mounted by default when you boot up, with Linux the opposite holds true; only partitions that are required by the system are mounted; all other partitions are left unmounted by default.

If you wish to mount a different partition by default when you boot up, you can add an entry to /etc/fstab for the partition. To get an idea of what I'm talking about, open a terminal and run this command:
cat /etc/fstab
All lines in the above file that begin with a hash symbol (#) are commented out - this means they are for (your) information only. Consequently the lines that don't begin with a hash symbol, are the "entries." They are the lines your computer reads, and acts upon. Your /etc/fstab file should have one entry for each partition that is automatically mounted when you boot up.

There is more than one way to configure an entry for /etc/fstab, but the recommended method is using UUID numbers; note that the entries in your /etc/fstab begin with UUID=

If you wish to create an entry in /etc/fstab to mount this partition automatically when you boot up, run these commands and post the output into a post here, and I can tell you what the entry should be:
sudo blkid
cat /etc/fstab

#14 John-Mack

John-Mack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

Thanks Al,

I will try to get you the output of that command when I get home tonight!! This is one of the last tweaks I would like to get resolved before I "roll" this new OS out to my wife and kids!!

Thanks again,

John

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:49 PM

Although Puppy doesn't use /etc/fstab (it has its own, 'quirky' way of doing things), I believe I'm right in saying that your mount entry would look something like the following (revealed through the use of the 'blkid' command).

This is an example from the auto-mount section of the Samba-TNG server start-up file we use in Puppy (which in Pup's case, lives in /root/Startup):-

#Mount any shared drives here:
mount -U d02d3eb7-4f23-4608-af43-85b7bf7a86bf /mnt/sda1
mount -U a003a133-8dbf-4082-b831-b779b6ffb9ad /mnt/sda10
mount -U 61885f69-428c-4bf1-bf7a-adf8c1432a76 /mnt/sdg1
mount -U cde0f99c-d39d-43b8-9be9-28073cf4f7d8 /mnt/sdg2

Hope that helps to clarify matters a wee bit. Note, as Al has explained, the use of the '#' symbol.....denoting lines that your OS ignores (just for your information).

In Puppy's case, the 'UUID=' portion isn't used.....the '-U' denotes this instead, and serves the same purpose. Sorry to perhaps confuse the issue here, which is not the intention.....I just wanted to give one example of how these things can be done. As Al says, there are a few different ways this can be accomplished.

Over to you, Al!

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 28 November 2016 - 07:01 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users