Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS name resolution issues with wpad.Home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HairyApricot

HairyApricot

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:39 PM

The message in event viewer was "Name resolution for the name wpad.Home timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." Now I was having some issues connecting to my router before, which is why I noticed this. However I googled it and started reading about WPAD discovery, and the vulnerabilities it can open. Now I wasn't using IE, which uses that protocol as I understand. Is this just he normal response when it's trying to look up the host file? Thanks for any help you can provide :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:22 PM

Don't know much about a WPAD discovery vulnerability, but if you want to check if your HOST files have been modified from their default, try Minitoolbox and check off "List Content of Hosts". If you want to know where on your hard drive you can find your host files, which OS do you have?

Edited by Trikein, 26 November 2016 - 09:22 PM.

#3 HairyApricot

HairyApricot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:36 AM

Yeah checked the host file, all it has is 127.0.0.1, so no changes. Using Windows 7

#4 HairyApricot

HairyApricot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

So I was just checking it today again. Had to restart my router because of a few issues. Seen "Name resolution for the name wpad.home timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." again but also one that said "Name resolution for the name syayzyaj.home timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." What exactly do these mean, and why is the address for the second one so strange?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users