Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Wifi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

I picked up an older Acer Aspire 5250, Win. 10, am not getting a WiFi signal, when I hit the icon, says WiFi not connected, I go to the WiFi icon and it is off, but after trying the on/off choice it does not turn on. Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to your network adapters in Device Manager?

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:05 PM

It may be because the wifi card has failed, this is not uncommon in older laptops. Your answer may be to buy a USB wifi dongle. They are fairly cheap and generally work very well. I use one in my desktop - it never had a wifi card - and another in a laptop where the wifi card has been dead for years ! Purely as an example of the type of thing see this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN823N-Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0088TKTY2/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1480032090&sr=1-4&keywords=wifi+dongle+usb

Chris Cosgrove

#4 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for the replies, out of nowhere it starting working again!! Small wonders never cease!

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:45 AM

out of nowhere it starting working again

Just a thought....it could also stop working just as suddenly; sometimes these NICs start "fussing around" just before they fail entirely. Chris' suggestion above about a dongle is something to keep in mind if there are further problems.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the info, I have several network adapters if it  happens again

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2016 - 11:46 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users