Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Crashes, Freezing, BSoDs, Artifacting... I have no idea

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lolrider

Lolrider

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

First, let me just apologize if this is the incorrect sub-forum for this problem.  I have been experiencing BSoDs, but I've also been experiencing a lot more than just blue screens, so if there is a more appropriate place for me to ask this question, just let me know.

Now, moving on to the actual problem...

------------------

I've been trying to do my own research and troubleshooting, but I haven't had a lot of luck, so I figured I'd throw this out into the internet and see if someone could maybe shed some light on my situation.

So, uh, long story short, my computer is functionally unusable.  It starts up, and I can log in, access BIOS, etc. but if I have the computer running for any period of time, I inevitably end up experiencing problems.  This occurs when I'm browsing the web, when I'm playing games, when I'm running testing software, and sometimes when I'm not doing anything at all whatsoever.

There have been a couple of symptoms:

I've been experiencing some artifacting and general visual distortion; a checkerboard pattern, where some squares aren't displaying; a more elongated version of the same checkerboard patter, horizontal rather than vertical; and a jittery, stuttering distortion like an old VHS tape.  Sometimes this artifacting is present at start-up, sometimes they only occur after the computer has been running for a period of time.  I briefly considered that my monitor might be the problem, but these are not the only issues, and the artifacting is not consistent.

Additionally, my Nvidia drivers crash and occasionally restart, giving me a line like "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered."  Or, that's my assumption, because sometimes things just crash and nothing restarts at all.  I've had both BSoDs and freezing related (I think) to this problem.

Spoiler

My initial assumption was that this was a GPU problem since I've had similar issues in the past with drivers and such, however, solutions I've used in the past haven't worked this time, and the symptoms this time are far beyond what I've experienced previously, as well as beyond what I would expect GPU problems to cause.

The only other options that come to mind are the RAM, Motherboard, or the CPU, but I don't really have any prior experience with those types of failures.  Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple failures.  I've had a lot of bad luck with this rig.

Either way, I appreciate whatever help anyone can give me.

As I was in the process of writing this, I realized I could probably use the BSoD error messages to learn more about the issues I was having, but unfortunately my computer doesn't even reliably crash anymore. I've been trying all day so far and I haven't even been able to access my desktop at all, and the one BSoD I DID have ended early when my computer rebooted itself.  The problem seems to actually be getting worse over time, even when I'm not doing anything with my PC.

I'll update my post if or when I manage to get an actual error message transcribed.

Attached Files

Edited by Lolrider, 23 November 2016 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:12 PM

First, let me just apologize if this is the incorrect sub-forum for this problem.  I have been experiencing BSoDs, but I've also been experiencing a lot more than just blue screens, so if there is a more appropriate place for me to ask this question, just let me know.

Now, moving on to the actual problem...

------------------

I've been trying to do my own research and troubleshooting, but I haven't had a lot of luck, so I figured I'd throw this out into the internet and see if someone could maybe shed some light on my situation.

So, uh, long story short, my computer is functionally unusable.  It starts up, and I can log in, access BIOS, etc. but if I have the computer running for any period of time, I inevitably end up experiencing problems.  This occurs when I'm browsing the web, when I'm playing games, when I'm running testing software, and sometimes when I'm not doing anything at all whatsoever.

There have been a couple of symptoms:

I've been experiencing some artifacting and general visual distortion; a checkerboard pattern, where some squares aren't displaying; a more elongated version of the same checkerboard patter, horizontal rather than vertical; and a jittery, stuttering distortion like an old VHS tape.  Sometimes this artifacting is present at start-up, sometimes they only occur after the computer has been running for a period of time.  I briefly considered that my monitor might be the problem, but these are not the only issues, and the artifacting is not consistent.

Additionally, my Nvidia drivers crash and occasionally restart, giving me a line like "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered."  Or, that's my assumption, because sometimes things just crash and nothing restarts at all.  I've had both BSoDs and freezing related (I think) to this problem.

Spoiler

My initial assumption was that this was a GPU problem since I've had similar issues in the past with drivers and such, however, solutions I've used in the past haven't worked this time, and the symptoms this time are far beyond what I've experienced previously, as well as beyond what I would expect GPU problems to cause.

The only other options that come to mind are the RAM, Motherboard, or the CPU, but I don't really have any prior experience with those types of failures.  Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple failures.  I've had a lot of bad luck with this rig.

Either way, I appreciate whatever help anyone can give me.

As I was in the process of writing this, I realized I could probably use the BSoD error messages to learn more about the issues I was having, but unfortunately my computer doesn't even reliably crash anymore. I've been trying all day so far and I haven't even been able to access my desktop at all, and the one BSoD I DID have ended early when my computer rebooted itself.  The problem seems to actually be getting worse over time, even when I'm not doing anything with my PC.

I'll update my post if or when I manage to get an actual error message transcribed.

Seems like a punished graphic card issue.

#3 Lolrider

Lolrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:31 PM

I agree.  Actually, this morning, I had a bit of an (accidental) breakthrough.  My GPU was automatically disabled in my device manager, and I didn't have any of problems that I've had recently.

I'm a bit afraid to jump the gun and start shopping for parts, though.  Sales are going on, but I don't want to buy something I don't actually need.

#4 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:05 PM

I agree.  Actually, this morning, I had a bit of an (accidental) breakthrough.  My GPU was automatically disabled in my device manager, and I didn't have any of problems that I've had recently.

I'm a bit afraid to jump the gun and start shopping for parts, though.  Sales are going on, but I don't want to buy something I don't actually need.

Are you running any overclocking software by chance?

Please advise.

Thanks.

#5 Lolrider

Lolrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:08 PM

Please advise.

Thanks.

No, I generally don't overclock

#6 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:31 PM

Please advise.

Thanks.

No, I generally don't overclock

Hmmm.. Is it possible to get the dump files from your system?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Edited by JinXiang91, 24 November 2016 - 08:31 PM.

#7 Lolrider

Lolrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

I apologize for the delay, I've been a bit busy.  I was hoping that I had solved the problem, but while I seem to have made it "better," it still persists.

I did a fairly comprehensive cleaning of both the hardware and the software; I vacuumed and cleaned the card itself, but I also removed previous drivers using DDU and manually installed the most current drivers.  I also cleaned the ports themselves, and even tried moving my GPU from one of the slots to the other, but that doesn't seem to have been the problem either.

The card is now at a place where I can use a web browser (at least more than before) and it's not crashing constantly/immediately just when idling on the desktop, but my drivers seem to fail pretty quickly after I start up any kind of stress test or video game/benchmark. 

Hopefully the included file is what you are asking for.  A bit embarrassingly, I have to admit that I'm not nearly as proficient as I would like to be when it comes to computers.  It's definitely a learning process.

Also, I'm using an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB, since I don't think I've mentioned that yet.

Attached Files

#8 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:12 PM

I apologize for the delay, I've been a bit busy.  I was hoping that I had solved the problem, but while I seem to have made it "better," it still persists.

I did a fairly comprehensive cleaning of both the hardware and the software; I vacuumed and cleaned the card itself, but I also removed previous drivers using DDU and manually installed the most current drivers.  I also cleaned the ports themselves, and even tried moving my GPU from one of the slots to the other, but that doesn't seem to have been the problem either.

The card is now at a place where I can use a web browser (at least more than before) and it's not crashing constantly/immediately just when idling on the desktop, but my drivers seem to fail pretty quickly after I start up any kind of stress test or video game/benchmark. 

Hopefully the included file is what you are asking for.  A bit embarrassingly, I have to admit that I'm not nearly as proficient as I would like to be when it comes to computers.  It's definitely a learning process.

Also, I'm using an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB, since I don't think I've mentioned that yet.

Hi,

Noted. I will do an analyze for your BSOD when im home. Currently at work now.

You may want to test your PSU. Don't want to rule out that it's voltage setting issue which causes your GPU/CPU to fry. 

This free test has a Power Supply test in it:  http://www.ocbase.com/

Thanks.

#9 Lolrider

Lolrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hi,

Noted. I will do an analyze for your BSOD when im home. Currently at work now.

You may want to test your PSU. Don't want to rule out that it's voltage setting issue which causes your GPU/CPU to fry. 

This free test has a Power Supply test in it:  http://www.ocbase.com/

Thanks.

Well, my computer crashed almost immediately both times I tried to run the tests.  Not sure what that says exactly, although it does appear to be a similar test to the Furmark burn-in test that I've been using.  I do know that my GPU can run very hot for an extended period of time, which I don't think should be possible with a faulty PSU??  Well, I'd assume but I've been wrong before.

#10 Lolrider

Lolrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

Sorry, I discovered that the file I posted might not have actually had the .dmp files in it.  I was a bit perplexed, but I figured out that I needed to edit the properties of the files so that administrators could view and alter the files as well, not just the system.  I'm not sure why it was set that way, but it seems to have solved the problem, at least for the DM Log Collector.

I'm not sure if the .dmp file is actually supposed to look like that or not, considering I had my system in a different locale, but I'll see if I can replicate the problem and generate a different .dmp file now.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users