Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services refuse to start because of missing files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

Folks,

I have a Dell XPS17 l702x laptop which is rapidly becoming unusable.  Its OS is Windows 7 x64 Pro.

Its problem appears to be that a number of services are not running, primarily Plug and Play, which has stopped.  When trying to start it I get error 2 ""The system cannot find the file specified".   A number of other services including the audio system, and virtual disk won't start either because they are dependent on Plug & Play.

The initial starting point for this problem seems rather unlikely.  I spilt a cup of tea over the laptop keyboard.   The laptop appeared to be OK, until I noticed the keyboard had stopped working.   Running a hardware check showed the "Insert" key to be permanently pressed, i.e. short-circuited.  THe keyboard was removed and dried out, and at the same time I did a thorough clean of the inside, including removal of dust etc from the fan and heatsink.

The keyboard and then the trackpad still refused to work, so currently I have an external mouse and keyboard plugged into USB ports as substitutes.

I have run a number of checks, starting with hardware.  I used the tool supplied by Dell (SupportAssist) to check everything else - it all appeared to be fine.

I have run the sfc - which passes fine.

I have run MBAM a number of times (I have the paid for edition so it should be keeping an eye on things anyway).  It passed - however on some restarts MBAM reports the anti-rootkit module won't load (error 20025).  I have an enquiry into Malwarebytes about that.

I have just tried to do a re-installation of Windows 7 (the upgrade type, thus leaving all data in place).  That failed to start because the virtual disk cannot be started.

Is the hardware possibly fried - or should I be looking elsewhere?

Richard

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2016 - 04:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:56 PM

A minor update to the problem.  Malwarebytes advised re-installation of MBAM, which I have done.   That appears to have cleared the fault described above - and its now reporting no problems.

Richard

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

Your experience and mine from awhile back has me invoking a rule in my computer classes [when I sub in one] -- no food or drink crosses the airspace of either keyboard or mouse.  Motions similar to "wax on, wax off"/first Karate Kid movie helps save both keyboard and mouse area.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:11 AM

Yes, a good rule, but not sufficient in this case.  The cup of tea in question wasn't near the computer.  It was knocked and flew through the air several feet before depositing the contents across the computer and the floor.    The only rule that would work for such cases would be to keep all drinks at least five feet away - maybe more.   And the trouble with laptops is that go everywhere (by design) and such accidents are probably unavoidable.

But in this case, its far from clear that a hardware fault actually remains. The keyboard and mouse plugged in are working fine.  Its difficult to see any connection between a dicky keyboard and software services that refuse to start.   Apparently a file is missing - though sfc shows no problems.    

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:49 AM

I assume you already removed [uninstalled & removed drivers] from the internal keyboard and mouse; cold booted or Restarted, allowed Windows sufficient time to hunt up and install needed internal keyboard & mouse driverss -- and...still a file missing?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

Yes, I removed the drivers from the normal keyboard and also the trackpad.   And certainly Windows installed the keyboard and mouse quite happily - even though Plug n Play is not running (how does that work??)

I am thus unclear that the Plug n Play service not running issue has anything to do with the keyboard/mouse, or indeed any hardware issue at all.   The hardware seems to be otherwise OK - except where the necessary services are not running.  For instance, sound is not working because the sound service is not running, and that's because Plug n Play is not running.

Plug n Play appears to need a dll file: umpnpmgr.dll which should be in the \windows\system32 directory.  And its there just fine.   Asssuming sfc is accurate its also OK, since no errors were found.    I don't know what other files Plug n Play needs to run.

Richard

#7 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:14 PM

I need to add that the problem with MBAM has returned this afternoon.  I now have error codes 20025 and 20023 popping up, with the same inability to load the anti-rootkit module.   That problem has again been referred to Malwarebytes for help.

Its looking to me like there are two problems here.  One is a fairly minor hardware issue with a damaged keyboard, for which I have a work-around in place.

The other looks like a software problem - possibly a rootkit virus - which is taking out the relevant part of MBAM, and perhaps causing problems with services.

Richard

#8 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:22 PM

And mods - I see you have moved this thread to "Hardware".    I don't think that's appropriate - see my post above.   This isn't really a hardware issue as far as I can tell.   Unless you know how faulty hardware (which I can't detect) can affect the ability to run services?    I suggest its a Windows 7 problem as originally posted - so please move it back again.

thanks

Richard

#9 Richard_Hankins

Richard_Hankins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

Just noticed I have about 60 windows updates waiting to install.  Trying them manually just leaves the update process hanging.  No doubt some critical process is not running.   

I am going to repost this query in the crashes section.....;..

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

Its problem appears to be that a number of services are not running, primarily Plug and Play, which has stopped.  When trying to start it I get error 2 ""The system cannot find the file specified".   A number of other services including the audio system, and virtual disk won't start either because they are dependent on Plug & Play.

The initial starting point for this problem seems rather unlikely.  I spilt a cup of tea over the laptop keyboard.   The laptop appeared to be OK, until I noticed the keyboard had stopped working.   Running a hardware check showed the "Insert" key to be permanently pressed, i.e. short-circuited.  THe keyboard was removed and dried out, and at the same time I did a thorough clean of the inside, including removal of dust etc from the fan and heatsink.

The keyboard and then the trackpad still refused to work, so currently I have an external mouse and keyboard plugged into USB ports as substitutes.

Is the hardware possibly fried - or should I be looking elsewhere?

Richard

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users