Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PapaC445

PapaC445

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

This problem has upset me and a lot of poker players. It concerns an update the Americas Cardroom, Black Chip Poker, and Poker Host. All 3 runs the same software. Anyway Monday morning I tried to log in and it started an update. After the update I was not able to log in to any of the three. And it's not a virus on my computer. Everything else works fine. So for three days now, many of us from several forums have been trying to find out what the problem is and trying to get it fixed. Well as of today, the poker site rep has told us that their update will not work for Windows XP or Vista. They said we either have to get Windows 7 or higher, and for many players, buying the software is out of the question because many of up can't afford it. Yeah you would think poker players would have some money. I did too until this happened. Anyway, my referrer told me to send him this so he could see if Windows 7 or 10 would work on my computer. Here is the screen shot

https://i.gyazo.com/923d0accdb40b9e8f1fcc7b7f7463c7e.png

After that he pm me and said 7 or 10 would not work on my computer, and that's why he referred me here. He said he has gotten a lot of help here, and I could too. And by what I see, I can learn a lot of things that will help me. I don't know much about a computer, but I'm sure going to find out some things here. Any advice will help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

Yes, Americas Cardroom requires Windows 7 or higher or a Mac: https://www.americascardroom.eu/poker-customer-support/poker-faq/what-kind-of-operating-system-do-i-need-in-order-to-play-online-poker/. Black Chip Poker is the same but does not support Mac. Poker Host has a webpage claiming to support Windows XP or higher (https://www.pokerhost.com/aboutus/software), which would include Vista; but it might be that the webpage hasn't been updated since the software update you mentioned.

Frankly, the simplest and best solution to your problem is also the most expensive: Buy yourself a new Windows 10 PC. You seem to be hoping for a free solution, but the poker software does not appear to support Linux, so there is no free solution. Looking at your System Properties screenshot, I notice that you are running Vista with no service pack and only 1 GB of RAM, which confirms that you "don't know much about a computer." A clean install of 32-bit Windows 7 might be possible, but your hardware is probably better suited for XP than for Windows 7 or even Vista. Here's a recent thread that you might want to look at: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/627856/upgrade-vista-to-win-7/.

#3 DaveJoBot

DaveJoBot

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:46 AM

before you ( and yes you can get a upgrade disk on ebay and upgrade to windows 7 home-premium and get your poker settled ) get a new computer follow the advice that is in the "( )" before buying a new computer, get service pack 1 from Microsoft and upgrade, it worked for me and has worked on all customers that i have worked on that want a new computer but half the price so FOLLOW THE ADVICE PROVIDED :) !

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:58 PM

If these websites have updated their applications so that they no longer work on either XP or Vista then installing SP1 - while it should be done in any case - will not change this situation, and if Avzyx is correct about these sites not supporting Linux, then your only answer is a computer capable of running either Win 7, 8.1 or 10.

Have you considered getting a refurbished computer ?  A very quick google offers a number priced at £100 or thereabouts. If you do consider going this route either go to a local store where it is easy for you to go back and jump up and down if it goes pearshaped or, if you consider on-line, pick a seller with a good reputation.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users