Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - connectivity issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 doughboy52

doughboy52

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hello all, I'm new here. I was hoping that someone might have an idea of what might be causing the problem I'm having, because I'm lost and desperate, and I'm not great with networking beyond the basics. I'm having a problem where I'll suddenly lose connectivity completely from my router, both wired and wireless. On a PC it's no internet access but connected to the network, plus IP address conflict popup. On iOS, it sees the network but just spins trying to join. Power cycling the router and equipment does nothing. The only thing that corrects it is a hard reset of the router and using the default SSID. If I change it to my old SSID name, the devices immediately have issues again. Is there something about that network name that it's now tainted for use by my devices? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm lost.

Here's the backstory, as succinctly as I can, if it helps piece things together:

• Previous home: Comcast through Arris SB6141 to TP-Link Archer C8, with NAS via USB 3.0. No problem for 1.5 years.
  • Moved to a new home and repeated that setup; worked for a month before the problem first arose.
  • Sudden loss of internet as I mentioned above. Countless calls with Comcast and TP-Link support with finger-pointing. Bought a new modem, which didn't correct the problem. Had problems with TP-Link tech support responding quickly and couldn't get traction with Comcast.
  • Switched ISPs to Verizon FiOS. Started with their leased Quantum Gateway connected via Ethernet instead of MOCA and tentatively used their default SSID and key.
  • Finally received RMA replacement from TP-Link weeks later and installed it to replace the Verizon gateway. Set it up with my old network name and it worked fine for 5 days before suddenly losing connectivity. I tried to rename the network and it causes everything to lose connectivity.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

The fact that the problem occurs over two different ISP says to me it isn't a ISP problem. The fact that it occurred with two different routers (same type) says it isn't a hardware problem. That only leaves a configuration problem or a environmental problem. 

What do the router logs say? You can find them under Advanced > System Tools > System Log as seen here.(Emulator, not your router).

Also, what hardware version (V1,V2,V3) is the C8 and what firmware are you running?

Last, do you have IPv6 enabled?

#3 doughboy52

doughboy52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the reply, Trikein!  I just went and changed the network name again to get it to fail and see what it would populate in the logs, since they got cleared out with the hard reset.  Right after changing the network name, the router logged "DHCPS:lease host name not found" as a warning among other normal info logs.

The router is the Archer C8 v1.  Firmware is 3.17.0 Build 20150518 Rel.38024n, which looks to be the latest based on their web site.

And yes, IPv6 is enabled.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

the router logged "DHCPS:lease host name not found" as a warning among other normal info logs.

I think that specific problem is being caused by the default host name entered by TP-Link as seen Advanced > Network > Internet > Advanced(button) > Host name > Archer_C8. Delete everything listed under Host name. This usually shouldn't matter, but maybe it is.

Also, what error do you get at the computer if you release/renew the IP? From CMD Ipconfig /release and Ipconfig /renew. You mentioned before a "Ip conflict". When does this come up? Do you see anything in the router logs about a IP conflict? Last, do you have any static IP's set up on your network(ie printer?).

Edited by Trikein, 23 November 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#5 doughboy52

doughboy52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

I tried deleting the host name and then tried changing the SSID to the one I've use and the connection died like it has before.  I can't even get to the router's config pages after changing the SSID, even via an Ethernet connection.  I get the IP conflict prompt when I try to browse to 192.168.0.1, and the command prompt gives a message that it can't perform the operation when media is disconnected.  And therefore, I can't get to logs after that.

My wireless printer joins by choosing the network and entering the key, like any device, so I don't think that's a static IP?

Everything appears to be working whenever it's not that one specific network name.  In the end, I can settle on another network name and get all of my devices and NAS set up on that.  It's just really bothering me as to why that particular string of characters for a network name is somehow causing any router (both Archer C8s, as well as an old Netgear I tried a few weeks back) to freak out and cause no Internet connection.  It defies logic!

Edited by doughboy52, 23 November 2016 - 03:51 PM.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:54 PM

" I get the IP conflict prompt when I try to browse to 192.168.0.1,"

"It's just really bothering me as to why that particular string of characters for a network name is somehow causing any router"

So when you set your SSID to a specific name, you get a IP conflict. Are any routers or devices broadcasting that same network? I feel like I/we are missing something super simple. Things that seem "weird" usually have obvious solutions.

To be clear. you are going FIOS ONT > ethernet > TP-Link router. No other routers or gateways?

Edited by Trikein, 23 November 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#7 doughboy52

doughboy52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:54 PM

That's right - ONT directly to Archer C8 via Ethernet. No other networking equipment in the house.

I've been on a different SSID for over 48 hours since I was last posting and it's been flawless. If it's that simple, I can move on. It's just an SSID. But this is really blowing my mind and drives me nuts. Is there anything possible where that IP address conflict and the stored network information on one of my devices could cause the router to trip up such that you can't access it even via Ethernet and have to reset it?

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:08 AM

Is there anything possible where that IP address conflict and the stored network information on one of my devices could cause the router to trip up such that you can't access it even via Ethernet and have to reset it?

Could a IP conflict cause a problem? Yes. But I don't see how that connects to the SSID. The only connection I can think of is if the device that is causing the IP conflict isn't getting online anymore because it is trying to connect to the old SSID. That would make me think the issue is the wireless extender. If you turn that off, can you use the old SSID?

#9 doughboy52

doughboy52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

I'm not using any wireless extenders or anything. And when it drops, it's like the entire router dies - can't access it or the Internet through wired or wireless connections on any device.

I'm on a week straight of it working fine with a different SSID. I really want to know what the heck is going on, but I also don't want to mess with a good thing (especially since my wife depends on working remotely).

I'm going to leave it as is and I'll check back with you if the problem resurfaces on this different SSID. Thank you so much for all of your help!

#10 doughboy52

doughboy52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

So, I got about 3 weeks of solid performance out of that, and then it quit on me. I tried resetting everything and going back to that network name and got no connectivity. Then I reset it and went back to the network name from when I was originally having problems and that worked. That's been good for a week now. I'm trying to find some correlation for a trigger - I was trying to get the DirecTV internet adapter (for on-demand) joined to the network and finally got that to recognize the network, only about an hour before I lost everything. No idea whether that could cause anything, as it's no different from adding any device to a network (except that the DTV equipment wasn't picking up the network name until after a few reset cycles on it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users