Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

email

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

I have COX email on my main computer and it works. COX web mail works. However COX cannot get my email on any computer or my 2nd computer with 2 hard drives which are Windows7 and Windows10. My laptop can no longer get email, my phone and table no longer has Internet and this happen all at once. After 30 phone calls and 20 hours Cox still cannot get me on the anything except my main computer. I got a 2nd email but it doesn’t work. I’ve had COX for 10 years and this is the first time they could not solve my problem.  I think I’m going to have to drop COX and go with another Internet provider. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

Lets look at the problem piece by piece. Lets start with connectivity.

Why can't your phone or tablet get online? Can they still see the wireless network? Can they see it and not connect? Connect but not get online? Is there a error?

Second, your email.

What happens when you try to get your email on the two PC (desktops?). What error message does it display? What email program are you using?

Overall, Cox email is having problems right now with receiving email from providers like Gmail. Last I heard it was reolved sometimes around 12:00pm EST but there could still be some experiencing it. This would NOT stop you from checking your email though, it would only stop you from getting email from some people. 

PS. Your last post said you were switching to Gmail. Are you using Gmail or Cox email?

Edited by Trikein, 23 November 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#3 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

Why can't your phone or tablet get online? Can they still see the wireless network? Can they see it and not connect? Connect but not get online? Is there a error?

I can get Internet on my phone and table now

How can I attach a link?

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

1.What fixed the problem with the laptops getting online? Was it related to the email problem at all?

2. How are you checking your email? Are you using Outlook or some kind of program?

3. You mentioned last post you were going to switch to Gmail. Did you do that?

4. What error do you get when checking your email? Try to copy/paste or attach a screenshot of the error.

5. Do you get the error when sending AND receiving email?

PS. What link are you trying to attach? Normally you just copy/paste the link. If you want to make it a HYPERlink, highlight it, then click the Hyperlink button in the middle of the 2nd row of formatting buttons.

#5 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:51 AM

1.What fixed the problem with the laptops getting online? Was it related to the email problem at all?

Not my laptop, my phone and amazon Fire and I don't know.

2. How are you checking your email? Are you using Outlook or some kind of program?

Microsoft Live Mail, Send and receive

3. You mentioned last post you were going to switch to Gmail. Did you do that? Yes

4. What error do you get when checking your email? Try to copy/paste or attach a screenshot of the error.

I don't seem to get a screen shot on this post, can I do an attachment and if so How?

5. Do you get the error when sending AND receiving email? Yes

PS. What link are you trying to attach? The screen shot which is saved on my desktop.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:23 AM

1. So it began working without you doing anything? 

2. Thank you.

3. Are you using Gmail on all the computers? If so, why did your OP say you had Cox email? Cox email is a different email provider then Gmail(Google). 

4. Try using http://imgur.com/   Click "New Post" on top, then drag and drop the picture from your desktop to the window and then click the "Copy" button to the right and paste the link in a post.

5. If you can't post a screenshot somehow, can you copy/paste or type the error out verbatim?

Edited by Trikein, 25 November 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#7 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

3. Are you using Gmail on all the computers? If so, why did your OP say you had Cox email? Cox email is a different email provider then Gmail(Google). 

Because COX in my IPS

4. Try using http://imgur.com/   Click "New Post" on top, then drag and drop the picture from your desktop to the window and then click the "Copy" button to the right and paste the link in a post.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArI3LBqp-bUBlw74RvvZ0afcUWWT

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

3. Cox may be your ISP, but if you use Gmail, then Gmail(or Google) does your email. It would be like if you had Cox cable TV and couldn't get Netflix to work on your TV. They both show movies online, but they aren't related to each other. That is why Cox couldn't get it to work.

4. If you have Gmail, you DON'T want to use Cox's email servers. Basically forget you even have Cox internet. See here for setting up Gmail in Windows Live Mail. Make sure to use your user@gmail.com and password.

Edited by Trikein, 25 November 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#9 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

Gmail has nothing to do with Cox mail. This problem was way before Gmail which I'm not even using. When I get everything together for a transfer I am going to tell COX to delete my email account and put it back on and if that doesn't work then I will cancel Cox and go with another IPS provider.

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

This problem was way before Gmail which I'm not even using. 

3. You mentioned last post you were going to switch to Gmail. Did you do that? Yes

They why did you say you switched to Gmail?

Overall, you are getting a password error. Can you sign into Webmail.cox.net with the Richard039 username and password?

if that doesn't work then I will cancel Cox and go with another IPS provider.

Ok, well you haven't even said what settings you are using. Also, I am confused why you would "switch to Gmail" but then not use it. But if you don't want to troubleshoot anymore, that's fine with me. Good luck.

PS. It's Internet Service Provider (ISP). IPS is a kind of display panel. 

Edited by Trikein, 25 November 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#11 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:28 PM

Thank You for trying to help me but after 20 hours with Cox and they can't get my email on any other computer or OS or phone I'm just going to change everything over to gmail. When I move I will cancel COX and if I want them again I will start with a different email which I won't use but should be able to get on all my computers. I can get gmail on all my computer now so I think I will go with gmail so I will never have this problem again. Thank you for your help.

#12 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:03 PM

Hi, @lostsoul65:

I'm not sure I fully understand the details of your issues, but I will do my best to try to help.

If you cancel your Internet Service Provider service, Cox, then you will have NO internet access for anything (neither email, nor webmail, nor dish/cable TV, nor web browsing, nor any other service on the internet), other than through your mobile phone's carrier.
You will need to find another ISP if you want to access the internet from your computers and other devices, unless you are going to route everything through your mobile network.

So, if you cancel your ISP service, you will not be able to access gmail (or anything else on the internet) from ANY of your devices at home, because you will have no internet access (other than through your mobile carrier).

As @Trikein tried to explain, you do not have to have or use an email account from Cox (or any other ISP) in order to access gmail (or a similar webmail service).  You only need to set up an account at gmail (such as myname123@gmail.com) AND have access to the internet.  That is the bare minimum (because one can also use an email client to access gmail).

However, for most ISPs, one does need to maintain at least one ISP account (such as myname123@cox.net), so that they can communicate with you about your account and other important information.  That does not mean that you cannot have or that you cannot access your gmail.  The ISP mail account (XXX@cox.net) and the gmail account (XXX@gmail.com) are entirely unrelated.  You can have both, even if you prefer to use gmail for your routine email communication.

Chances are, all that needs to be done is to correctly configure your various ISP email and webmail/gmail accounts, using the proper incoming (POP3 or IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) server settings for each account.

If Cox is like some other ISPs, you will NOT be able to route your gmail through their ISP servers. 

You will be limited either to accessing gmail from its website, and/or via some sort of email client that has been set up with the correct gmail server settings (as @Trikein explained earlier).

Bottom line:

• If you "cancel Cox", then you will have no access to the internet AT ALL from your computers or other devices, other than what you might be able to access on your mobile phone's network (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-mobile, etc.).
  • And if you use Cox for your TV (and/or digital phone), too, you will also lose that.
  • So, I'm not sure you really want to do that, unless you plan to sign up for a different ISP to provide those services?
  • You will need some kind of internet access (via either your ISP or your mobile phone network or both) in order to access the internet and to access your gmail (or any other email or webmail service).

I hope this helps a bit,

MM

#13 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

Yes I know, If I quit COX I will have another ISP within hours

As I said I will change everything over to gmail which might take me a week and that should solve all my problems for email.

Thank You

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users