Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast side-by-side configuration is incorrect

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 book.weaver

book.weaver

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:38 PM

Hello, 

My Avast Antivirus will not run, now.  I tried to turn it on with Windows Action Center and received this message:

"This program will not run

The program Avast Antivirus provided windows to fix this issue did not run."

I restarted my computer, Avast still did not show up in the taskbar, so I tried to open the program and got the following:

"C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastui.exe

The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command-line  sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

This is in addition to some other problems I've been having; it's becoming ominously similar to a situation many years ago when my Avast, Malwarebytes, and eventually entire system became compromised by an extensive virus.  Details on my other recent issues can be found in my previous post here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632460/decompression-bombs-and-runtime-error-r6025/

Sorry for the lengthy post; I am still having trouble uploading screenshots.  Thank you for your time.  =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+does+Windows+side-by-side+configuration+mean%3F&rlz=1C1VSNC_enUS601US601&oq=what+does+Windows+side-by-side+configuration+mean%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57.10363j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The above is not aimed at you; it's a placeholder because I faced the same situation awhile back. I'm going to be learning alongside you -- as others bring solutions into this thread.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 November 2016 - 12:46 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#3 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:01 PM

Very well; I look forward to it, sir!  At least my Malwarebytes is working; I'm running another scan now.  I'll post an update if it finds anything.

#4 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:36 PM

Update: The Malwarebytes scan came back fine, but later when I tried to open Windows Media Player the following came up:

"The file wmploc.dll has a version number of 12.0.7601.19148 where 12.0.7601.18840 was expected.

Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.

Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web site?"

As usual when I'm skeptical, I didn't click anything and simply started the task manager in order to end the program.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:21 PM

Hello book.weaver!

Please try this to fix Windows Media Player:

:step1: Open the Start Menu, and in the Search programs and files box, type cmd.
:step2: Right-click on cmd and select Run as administrator, accepting any User Account Control prompts.
:step3: Type in the following command and hit Enter on your keyboard:

unregmp2.exe /updatewmpversion

:step4: Type in the following command and hit Enter on your keyboard:

regsvr32 wmp.dll

You may get a message. Please hit OK (Yes).

:step5: Type in the following command and hit Enter on your keyboard:

exit

Do you still get the error message?

Edited by bwv848, 29 November 2016 - 07:25 PM.

If I do not reply in two days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hello, 

I've been getting some help in my other topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632460/decompression-bombs-and-runtime-error-r6025/  ...And we did find some malware.  Do you think it's safe to attempt to update it yet?  -Sorry if that's a stupid question!  Virus removal is pretty much the one area, when it comes to computers, that I have no experience with.

Also, another novice question, do I need an internet connection for the repair?  -Right now my router is being a bit of a pain!  =/

Thank you very much for your help!

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

Hi, :)

I believe you do need an internet connection.

Generally, when dealing with infections, you should tell whoever is helping you your current computer problems. It's not a good idea to ask for help all over the place.

I would wait until your computer is "clean", then follow my instructions. However, please go ahead and follow my instructions if Windows Media Player gets very annoying. :)

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#8 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

I know, and I'm terribly sorry.  I hadn't received help for a while even after posting to the "haven't received help after three-days" topic and when my Avast stopped working I kinda panicked.   :blush: I didn't want another system-wide crash like I had several years back.

Anyway, luckily my router is behaving now.  But I'll wait until my security issues are resolved to attempt the WMP fix.  I haven't even tried to open it again, yet, just in case.  If I need additional help -like if the update doesn't work for whatever reason- would you mind if I may post here again?

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

If you have general operating system issues, please post in the Windows 7 forum once your computer is clean. For avast! issues, please post in the Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software forum once your computer is clean. But if you have any remarks or questions about this issue with Windows Media Player, you may reply to this topic. :)

EDIT: Please continue posting here if you have further questions about the side-by-side configuration error.

Edited by bwv848, 30 November 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#10 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

Very well.  Thank you so much and have a nice day!

Edited by book.weaver, 30 November 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

You're welcome. :)

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

"...it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. .."  Snippit from opening, I still do not have the layman's definition  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:07 PM

Hello, Roland,

Before doing anything, all malware should be exterminated. :) Please see this quote from Microsoft Answers.

Hello stephnavarra,
Most Side by Side configuration errors are caused by missing C++ runtime components or corruption.

I would install all of the following:
Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package for (X86)
 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555
If you are running a 64-bit system, then you would need to install the (x64) version of the above files. You can download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

Hope this helps.

I too don't know what it exactly means.

Edited by bwv848, 30 November 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#14 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

So...when my PC is clean should I probably follow those instructions, as well?  I was going to simply re-install Avast once I'm malware-free, but I don't know what other programs may have been compromised.

Edited by book.weaver, 30 November 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:46 PM

Go ahead and follow my instructions in post 5 to fix WMP please. You may try reinstalling avast! and see whether if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't reply to this topic. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users