Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need a gaming pc? Thanks for any help.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 trickshot63

trickshot63

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

The wife and I would like to play pc games locally, and try out an n64 emulator, and maybe try out Steam...that's it. We're not interested in playing games online with someone across the country. Would a nice regular pc do the trick or do I need a gaming rig? If so, would a cheap one like this do the trick? https://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberpowerPC-Black-Gamer-Ultra-GUA250-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Quad-Core-FX-4300-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home-64-bit-Monitor/17811825

Thanks for reading

Edited by trickshot63, 23 November 2016 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joooneto

joooneto

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:59 AM

What kind of game you'll play in Steam?

I can't open the walmart's link, because I'm in Brasil. But looking the link, seems to be a good computer, 

#3 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:23 PM

Psychonauts, Ginger: Beyond the Crystal, Grow home, Zissi.s Island...stuff like that.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

While Walmart is cheap and Cyberpower is a good brand I think, you would still be better off building it yourself. Much more power for much less money spent. It's up to you if you want to build or not. It's not hard, but it does take some effort.

Hey, I played Grow Home. I like that game.

#5 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:43 PM

Even after buying Windows 10?

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:48 PM

Yes. Windows 10 will eventually be mandatory. Right now, it is not recommended. Not for the reasons most people think. Windows 7 is more stable than 10 and does not have the same compatibility issues 10 has. When it comes to games 7 is still better, overall, than 10.

Also prebuilt PC's tend to come with cheap components, such as the power supply and hard drive. Failure from those parts can be disastrous. Whereas a video card or RAM stick failing does not have the same damage potential.

#7 granada12

granada12

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:18 PM

To answer directly to your question, with this computer your will be able to play those games. On the long run, i recommand going for Win10. Win7 will stop been supported in 2020, so if you think keeping your computer more than 3 years go for win10. Im a hardcore gamer and a computer tech, the only things i dont like in that build is the amd processor. Otherwise it's a good choice. Also consider having an SSD (Solid state drive) it considerably augment the speed of your computer.

My pleasure if you have more quesion.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

To answer directly to your question, with this computer your will be able to play those games. On the long run, i recommand going for Win10. Win7 will stop been supported in 2020, so if you think keeping your computer more than 3 years go for win10. Im a hardcore gamer and a computer tech, the only things i dont like in that build is the amd processor. Otherwise it's a good choice. Also consider having an SSD (Solid state drive) it considerably augment the speed of your computer.

Problem with AMD? At least that AMD has soldered heatspreader, not crappy paste that about every Intel under $350 CPU has.

#9 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

Thanks Guys!

#10 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

Well if you would like an AMD unit and you plan on ordering it from Walmart I would suggest this one over that one because of the FX 8320 processor and the RX 460 GPU, vs the other one with the FX 4300/GT- 730.

#11 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:31 AM

Problem with AMD? At least that AMD has soldered heatspreader, not crappy paste that about every Intel under $350 CPU has.

Nothing wrong with Intel thermal paste. Have used it on various Intel PCs, no overheating at all even under stress testing.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#12 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:34 AM

The wife and I would like to play pc games locally, and try out an n64 emulator, and maybe try out Steam...that's it. We're not interested in playing games online with someone across the country. Would a nice regular pc do the trick or do I need a gaming rig? If so, would a cheap one like this do the trick? https://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberpowerPC-Black-Gamer-Ultra-GUA250-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Quad-Core-FX-4300-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-10-Home-64-bit-Monitor/17811825

Thanks for reading

It is pretty good for budget gaming. Consider getting a SSD for faster PC performance.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:44 AM

Nothing wrong with Intel thermal paste. Have used it on various Intel PCs, no overheating at all even under stress testing.

Much higher temps and using stock cooler easily gives throttling temps on "high end" quad cores. So there's much wrong.

#14 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:48 AM

Much higher temps and using stock cooler easily gives throttling temps on "high end" quad cores. So there's much wrong.

I have a i5-6400 CPU using the stock cooler and paste. Under stress testing it will reach 60-65C, not high.

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:53 AM

I have a i5-6400 CPU using the stock cooler and paste. Under stress testing it will reach 60-65C, not high.

What kind of stress testing? Try something that uses AVX2 like Prime95 64-bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users