Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop won't start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Izzye

Izzye

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:10 AM

About a month ago there was a power surge/outage at my parents' house when the oven element decided it no longer wanted to work and took out all the rest of the electricity with it, I can't remember if my computer was plugged into a surge protector or not but it was on at the time and when I came to turn it back on later I discovered it wouldn't turn on. I've set it all up again having moved house and replaced the power supply as that's a fault I've had twice in the past but it still won't turn on. The monitor works fine, I've checked that, I'm pretty sure the HDD is ok, but even if it wasn't I'd still get bios and then an error I think? I plugged a linux live USB into it on the off chance it might work but nope. It's not even attempting to start, there's no movement or sound from anything anywhere which is a bit concerning and I'm slightly worried it may have fried my motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:18 AM

It sounds like the board is fried. You could test the power supply, but I am assuming that is ok, cause you are able to get the cd try to open. No light or anything show on the board when powered on?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

Have you tried powercycling the computer? Pull the power cord. If a laptop then remove the battery if easily accessible. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and battery. Reboot. If a desktop it would be a good idea to pull the CMOS battery before holding down the power button and then replace with a new one if the computer is fairly old. Before removing the CMOS battery ground yourself on some bare metal of the case.

If the above does not help it's more than likely a motherboard problem, especially if replacing the PSU did not fix the problem.

#4 DaveJoBot

DaveJoBot

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:28 PM

he is right about this, if the cmos battery does not do the trick you could unplug the computer then push the power button again and again for...you know 5-times and plug it back in and if that doesn't work than get a different computer and change out the hard drive and use a new computer!

thanks

DaveJoBot

#5 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, looks like it's completely broken. Yay! Everything is breaking and I'm broke :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users