Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod Can't Start Windows, Hard Drive "clicking"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

My work computer has undergone something I can't fix. I wasn't even at the computer when it happened!

I sat down and tried to move the mouse, no dice. Then, the BSOD appears and gave me the gobldygook you usually see when Windows crashes. The code was:

0x0000008E (0xC0000006, 0xBF80661D, 0xF25B34A0, 0x00000000)

It ocurred arounf the time the Windows Backup Utility was scheduled to perform my regular backup, but I wasn't looking at the screen when it happened, so I'm only guessing.

The programs open at the time were Outlook 2003, a database program called PeopleTrak, and perhaps IE7 (latest beta version)

The OS in Windows XP Pro SP2 with all critical fixes and updates. I'm running a Dell Dimension 8200 with the original hardware (except for a CD burner that i added in addition to the standard DVD-ROM drive). I run regular scans with Symantec Antivirus Corperate Edition, Windows Defender, and Adaware SE.

My computer is part of a local domain, the DNS is running Windows Server 2003 and is maintained by our tech consultants (who, I assume keep it up to date and patched).

I tried to run the recovery console, but I don't have the local machine's Administrator password (will attempt to find the person who should know it).

What's going on and how do i fix it?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

I was able to make Windows perform a disk check which found errors it was unable to correct. I then rebooted and tried to start Windows normally. It worked fine until the logon screen came up. I entered my (network) username and password as I normally do and it began the logon procedure. It froze before my desktop loaded and the BSOD reappeared with a new error code as follows:

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

(message about if you have seen this before, contact your administrator, etc)

STOP: 0x00000077 (0xC000000E, 0xC000000E, 0x00000000, 0x0001F000)

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

Clicking Hard Drive...sounds like it is failing...Try to run the Diagnostic CD that came with your Dell computer and run through a full test on your computer to see if anything is found. If an error is received, right it down for reference.

Is this computer under warranty?

Let us know.
JC

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

No known diagnostic CD is available. I can't even boot now, the POST freezes when it tries to access the drive. Even when I slaved it to another computer, it froze the POST.

Right now, I'm only concerned with recovering the data on it (my last backup was a week ago today).

Any suggestions?

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:32 PM

You could download the diagnostic CD from the Dell website, but it is probably too late at this point if it is freezing at the post. Are you saying that after you attempt to start your computer it freezes at the post? Does it tell you that the drive cannot be detected? Does it give you any message? Your computer/or another needs to see the drive before you can copy anything off of it.....There are companies that do this for you, but they cost a lot of $$$....Sorry, it doesn't look good at this point....Hopefully, by some fluke it will at least be seen in your BIOS and you can at least start your computer without POST problems, there may be a way of pulling out the data - Live Boot CD etc... :thumbsup:

You may get other suggestions...

Edited by Joshuacat, 25 August 2006 - 07:35 PM.

JC

#6 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

i assume you've double-checked all cables and connecters so:

dont try to use the disk again, remove it from the computer, and, this may sound strange, wrap it in polythene bag and place it in a refridgerator and leave it there overnight!

in the morning (or at least 8 hours later), as soon as you remove it from fridge, click the jumper is set to slave, install it as that in another computer, and boot the computer. if boot goes ok, go to my computer, and if you can see the faulty drive, as quick as poss copy all the data you can (this may be your last chance!).

hopefully you'll get your data transferred before your drive becomes a paperweight!

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users