Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking cursor on boot...with a twist.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pixel1191

Pixel1191

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

Hello everyone,

I've been asked to look at a computer that won't start anymore. It's an..older...HP RP5000, serving as a cash register for a small club, so if they need it, they really need it.

It's been in storage the past 7 months and worked fine prior to that. I gave it a new BIOS battery because it had forgotten it's settings, but it's still not booting.

It's doing the old blinking cursor after BIOS splash-screen thing. I figured it's the usual, but it isn't. The usual methods (that I know of) haven't led to success.

I tried the Windows Repair from the XP CD, did checkdisk, fixmbr, fixboot, /rebuildfg, the whole nine yards, they all ran successfully, but didn't help.

I even tried letting Testdisk fix the MBR...nothing.

I also tried cloning to a different drive, again nothing. Hell, I even tried the drive in another, identical RP5000 just to make sure the IDE controller isn't bricked (altho it's booting from CD, so I didn't really think that was it)...just does the same thing.

Here's the funny thing, however: If i plug the drive into a USB-IDE adaptor and let the PC boot from USB, XP starts booting, I see the loading screen. Then it obviously reboots because it can't handle the suddenly different storage controller.

Reinstalling, sadly, is only a last-ditch measure, because it would require to get in touch with the coder of the cash register software to reinstall and restore that to working order, which would cost a pretty penny. So I'm trying to exhaust other options first. Sadly, I'm out of ideas.

Anybody got any tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:17 PM

On this computer can you tap F8 to access the Advanced Boot Options and select Use Last Known Good Configuration? If that does not work then select Enable VGA Mode then lastly Safe Mode.

#3 Pixel1191

Pixel1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:59 AM

No, it doesn't get that far.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

Pull every attached device to the computer except the monitor/keyboard and remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and reboot.

It was not obvious to me at first but on an older computer I had a USB flash drive attached that caused a blinking cursor at boot. 

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2016 - 12:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users