Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A New Window Of Exploitation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:34 PM

My apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum category & I'd very much appreciate it if a moderator could move it to the proper one if need be.

It seems now Microsoft is trying even harder to take away our privacy via Windows 10. Besides the telemetry data issues, now they're forcing bloatware onto PC's. So please share this video with everyone ya know. Hell, even post it on Microsoft's twitter if they got one haha.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:42 AM

Mike, thanks for the very informative video! :)

I especially like the registry trick that gives us the power back over to out computers. :thumbup2:

Plus, telling us just like it is, in language that the everyday Windows consumer can understand. :thumbsup:

We are consumers, and our computers are our personal property, while the OS isn't, we should have a say in the unwanted extras that's loaded onto our OS w/out consent. That ticks me off also, will remove an app, only to see it reinstalled after a major upgrade to the OS. The madness has to stop, yet obviously it's up to us to draw the line in the sand, because Microsoft is making cash hand & fist over Windows 10 users. :angry:

To a lesser degree, the same can be stated about Windows 8.1, however the one thing that I liked about the OS (after Update 1) was it's superior power management over Windows 7. Not all will agree, yet if there was a single thing that was accomplished in the pouring all of that cash into a bucket with a hole in the bottom, that was power management for the OS. There are ways to bring back a traditional Start Menu, some OEM's provided their own. Should I get sick & tired of Windows 10 Pro (which shouldn't be having all of these apps installing), the backup image of 8.1 Pro is ready to be restored. While it may not show as genuine at first, after a update cycle & reboot, it'll be fine & is supported until early 2023. Heck, by that time, many of us will be using one or more different computer(s), or can image the drive prior to downgrade (recommended) & restore at EOL of Windows 8.1 or 7. If the computer shipped with Windows 7 & the Recovery partition is intact, can be made active with Mini Tool Partition Wizard & after reboot, will reload the OS, once complete the proper Active partition will be reset just as out of the box. :thumbsup:

Being that I built this system to last 10 years, it could boil down to just that, a downgrade back to 8.1. It's not the OS I have an issue with, which runs as good as ever, rather the installed junk on the computers that serves little purpose than to hog drive space & spy on us at the same time. Some goes as far as using our installed graphics card to upload data, and we've had at least one member who posted a pic of it, when should had been idle. :angry:

Good Luck with your work & again, Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 November 2016 - 04:43 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

I like the new start menu, because it is customizable unlike any other Windows version.

I hate the new start menu, because it is full of advertisements, unlike Windows 7.

Sure, I can delete the square-pane app things, but Windows still populates the "All Apps" list with what are basically ads.

Microsoft: one step forward, two steps back.

Edited by Gorbulan, 23 November 2016 - 10:40 AM.

#4 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:57 PM

Mike, thanks for the very informative video! :)

I especially like the registry trick that gives us the power back over to out computers. :thumbup2:

Plus, telling us just like it is, in language that the everyday Windows consumer can understand. :thumbsup:

We are consumers, and our computers are our personal property, while the OS isn't, we should have a say in the unwanted extras that's loaded onto our OS w/out consent. That ticks me off also, will remove an app, only to see it reinstalled after a major upgrade to the OS. The madness has to stop, yet obviously it's up to us to draw the line in the sand, because Microsoft is making cash hand & fist over Windows 10 users. :angry:

To a lesser degree, the same can be stated about Windows 8.1, however the one thing that I liked about the OS (after Update 1) was it's superior power management over Windows 7. Not all will agree, yet if there was a single thing that was accomplished in the pouring all of that cash into a bucket with a hole in the bottom, that was power management for the OS. There are ways to bring back a traditional Start Menu, some OEM's provided their own. Should I get sick & tired of Windows 10 Pro (which shouldn't be having all of these apps installing), the backup image of 8.1 Pro is ready to be restored. While it may not show as genuine at first, after a update cycle & reboot, it'll be fine & is supported until early 2023. Heck, by that time, many of us will be using one or more different computer(s), or can image the drive prior to downgrade (recommended) & restore at EOL of Windows 8.1 or 7. If the computer shipped with Windows 7 & the Recovery partition is intact, can be made active with Mini Tool Partition Wizard & after reboot, will reload the OS, once complete the proper Active partition will be reset just as out of the box. :thumbsup:

Being that I built this system to last 10 years, it could boil down to just that, a downgrade back to 8.1. It's not the OS I have an issue with, which runs as good as ever, rather the installed junk on the computers that serves little purpose than to hog drive space & spy on us at the same time. Some goes as far as using our installed graphics card to upload data, and we've had at least one member who posted a pic of it, when should had been idle. :angry:

Good Luck with your work & again, Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. :)

Cat

Thank you for the thanks haha, Classic Shell was the best way to get Windows Start Menu back in 8.1 but unfortunately it was compromised not long ago. I'm not sure if it's since then been fixed but here's where I heard about it anyway. By the way I'm not the guy in the video, Barnacules Nerdgasm, in case ya thought that :P. I might share more of his very helpful content on BC in the future though.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

ClassicShell was fixed soon after the the compromise was discovered.

#6 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

Thank you, now 8.1 is an option again in case new builders need to avoid 10 but want a longer support life than 7.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

Glad to hear that, it's was one of our favorite apps to use when the previews of Windows 8 began in 2012. :)

Plus, Classic Shell has a long history, was available long before Windows 8 was a dream in the mind of Steven Sinofsky (as the creator, was the first to take the fall or made the scapegoat for W8 while still on promo), it was used to make Windows Vista & 7 to look like XP & the other way around. 

As to bugs, there'll always be one now & then in software, have seen very few that are exempt from that. Example, the newly released Speccy still reports the GeForce GTX 1070 as having 4GB GDDR5 RAM, when in fact, everyone who have one & many who wished they did, knows that the GTX 1070 & 1080 are 8GB cards. And the lame excuse 'that's what's reported' is no excuse, I can open the NVIDIA control panel, or GPU-Z, and it's right there, 8GB GDDR5 VRAM. I reported the bug to Speccy two weeks ago & have received no answer. 

When I had LInux MInt 18 on the PC, it showed the correct amount of video RAM. Maybe Speccy will get it right in their next release. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

Glad to hear that, it's was one of our favorite apps to use when the previews of Windows 8 began in 2012. :)

Plus, Classic Shell has a long history, was available long before Windows 8 was a dream in the mind of Steven Sinofsky (as the creator, was the first to take the fall or made the scapegoat for W8 while still on promo), it was used to make Windows Vista & 7 to look like XP & the other way around. 

As to bugs, there'll always be one now & then in software, have seen very few that are exempt from that. Example, the newly released Speccy still reports the GeForce GTX 1070 as having 4GB GDDR5 RAM, when in fact, everyone who have one & many who wished they did, knows that the GTX 1070 & 1080 are 8GB cards. And the lame excuse 'that's what's reported' is no excuse, I can open the NVIDIA control panel, or GPU-Z, and it's right there, 8GB GDDR5 VRAM. I reported the bug to Speccy two weeks ago & have received no answer. 

When I had LInux MInt 18 on the PC, it showed the correct amount of video RAM. Maybe Speccy will get it right in their next release. :)

Cat

Thanks for that heads up, I was considering getting Speccy soon but now might go with HWmonitor or something else. Although I'll probably actually wait for Zen because that'll be the CPU who's core temps in question that I'll be interested in monitoring if I OC.

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

LOL, i love these threads because the first thing i ask is:

1. Do you have a gmail, yahoo, msn, hotmail, live, outlook, isp email account.

If yes to any of the above then a government agency already knows enough about you more than you think.

2. Do you always use a logless VPN service, if not then once again the gov knows who and were and what you do.

3.Do you any type of smart phone on any platform, if yes then the gov already has multiple exploits for remote execution + all meta data is stored.

4. If you belong to any western country, your fellow gov knows everything about you.

See the problem here is, just because microsoft started doing this its the end of the world all of a sudden, well let me tell you fellas a few things about privacy. THERE IS NONE.

The second you connect to a open network such as the internet, you are and will always be exposed.

Dont think your linux flavor sends info back? LOL think again.

Let me just reiterate, google, yahoo, microsoft, open software all spy and send info back about the users behavior, ad agencies send and find everything about what you do using cookies, cookie exploitation.

I could go on with what people call "Tin foil hat" conversation but a lot of it sounds like the movies!.

Fact is, you are not safe from snooping, encryption as we know it has been exploitable in the past (Thanks Snowden) and will continue to be but the only difference is we are not told about it.

Germany and the FBI in america "Hell even my Australian government are second to USA for snooping and infection" have been caught out so many times infecting their end users by exploiting legitimate software with a malware version.

You want to have privacy then move out bush, dont use any form of communication (Not even postal) and definatley dont use the internet or any phone.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 05 December 2016 - 07:12 PM.

#10 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

LOL, i love these threads because the first thing i ask is:

1. Do you have a gmail, yahoo, msn, hotmail, live, outlook, isp email account.

If yes to any of the above then a government agency already knows enough about you more than you think.

2. Do you always use a logless VPN service, if not then once again the gov knows who and were and what you do.

3.Do you any type of smart phone on any platform, if yes then the gov already has multiple exploits for remote execution + all meta data is stored.

4. If you belong to any western country, your fellow gov knows everything about you.

See the problem here is, just because microsoft started doing this its the end of the world all of a sudden, well let me tell you fellas a few things about privacy. THERE IS NONE.

The second you connect to a open network such as the internet, you are and will always be exposed.

Dont think your linux flavor sends info back? LOL think again.

Let me just reiterate, google, yahoo, microsoft, open software all spy and send info back about the users behavior, ad agencies send and find everything about what you do using cookies, cookie exploitation.

I could go on with what people call "Tin foil hat" conversation but a lot of it sounds like the movies!.

Fact is, you are not safe from snooping, encryption as we know it has been exploitable in the past (Thanks Snowden) and will continue to be but the only difference is we are not told about it.

Germany and the FBI in america "Hell even my Australian government are second to USA for snooping and infection" have been caught out so many times infecting their end users by exploiting legitimate software with a malware version.

You want to have privacy then move out bush, dont use any form of communication (Not even postal) and definatley dont use the internet or any phone.

I agree & let my clarify why I'm concerned at all, because of resource hogging. I wouldn't care who my claimed to be randomized data was sold to for marketing purposes. What worries me about Windows 10 is that according to what I've heard, the telemetry processes can dramatically slow down even mid-tire machines. Some examples include Win 10 constantly using 40-100% of a quad core CPU when idle. That's totally unacceptable & would render any non-enthusiast machine virtually useless. Additionally as the video in my OP states, the forcing of fishy apps like Candy Crush Saga onto our PC's will also have a severe impact on performance & security. Again by security I'm referring to potentially malicious third parties, not Microsoft or another verified usually legit company. So although it may be true that I do support Barnacules's call to action on getting Microsoft to stop this all as a whole. Personally if they just fixed the resource hogging & let us choose what's installed & what's not in addition to other performance related customization I'd have no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users