Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting wired internet connection in home with built in data ports

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AmberCat

AmberCat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:29 PM

Hello! I'm hoping someone could please help me or at least point me in the right direction.  I'm in my 30s and comfortable with computers when they work, but my computer knowledge when it comes to troubleshooting problems is on the lower side.

I've recently moved into a new home and I have my tv, internet, and phone through a local provider. In addition to the metal networking cabinet which my equipment (modem and router?) is in, there are two data ports in different rooms in the house that say "CAT 5e+". Although I have wireless internet that works fine most of the time, there are occasions for which I do need to be wired, not wireless, and it is not practical to run a 50-100 ft Ethernet cable to where my computer needs to be at these times. Now I can run an Ethernet cable from my router(?) to my computer when I have wifi disabled on said computer and have no problems, but when I try to plug an Ethernet cord from my computer directly into these data ports in the wall, on my Network Connections screen it says  "Ethernet" and "Unidentified Connection". When I plug an the Ethernet cord directly to my provider's "boxes" for tv, the tv works just fine. Is there a way for me to use these ports for wired internet access? If so, I have no idea what the issue could be - with the wiring, with my internet provider, with my equipment, or with me!

Please help me solve this puzzle if you can.

Computer Make and model: Toshiba Satellite S55-A5294 (I also have tried connecting with another computer that's much newer, an ASUS F556UA-AS54 and have the same problem)

The computer is connected to wireless but I want it to be wired at times

This is the equpment I have in my networking cabinet: TP-LINK 8 Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch,  ZyXEL Communications Corporation

What type of internet you have: Fiber Optic

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:13 AM

OK.  You have a data port on the wall.  Where does the other end go?  You need that other end to go into a lan port on the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users