Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java and Flash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frankc123

frankc123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:43 PM

I'm just a plain old lady using my laptop for plain old lady interests...do I need Java and Flash?  Searches only talk to programmers and coders. 

Also,is there a really good ad blocker and/or do not tracker that won't add a load of malware to my laptop?  I cannot freaking believe what I'm seeing on the web in terms of "don't add this, it'll really mess you up" and "that guy is full of it...the add-on is completely safe".  It's as though no one will give a straight and true answer to anyone.  I've thought about relocating to Lichtenshctein where I'm told corruption is banned.  That's probably a load, too.

I'm so grateful for any help/advice you fabulous experts can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:42 PM

I doubt you would need java. Flash may be needed to watch some videos. It can easily be disabled and enabled in Chrome by typing chrome://plugins in the address bar.

I would recommend you create a user account for browsing the internet and not use an admin account.

Use Chrome for a browser with the following extensions.

Ghostery    In Ghostery enable everything in options. It is not necessary to create a ghostery account. If a site requires it you can pause           Ghostery by right clicking the icon.

Adguard

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 November 2016 - 09:47 PM.

#3 joooneto

joooneto

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

It isn't necessary, but it won't hurt either.

Use Chrome or Firefox, they have very good extensions to protect you on the internet. Also, use a good Antivirus, like Avira.

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

do I need Java and Flash?
In modern day, no. However, if you desire to play games or watch videos on non-mainstream video sites, it may be nice to have. Using web browsers such as Google Chrome, or Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge (Edge is a Windows 10 browser). The reason for these two browsers is that they install updates automatically for Adobe Flash Player.

As far as ad blockers, script blockers, or other privacy add-ons, it's best to experiment for yourself. I do agree with some of the ideas, such as Ghostery, NoScript, BetterPrivacy, or Decentraleyes, which are all very well recommended and do work well.

Nonetheless, it does help to practice important measures, such as keeping your passwords secure by making good passwords (such as capital letters, lower case letters, symbols, and numbers)... a good mix of characters can make a good password. Password managers such as LastPass, Roboform, StickyPassword, etc. are good to have to help generate secure passwords and save existing passwords to help you manage them.

What other questions might you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users