Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft exec calls out Apple on its outdated Mac hardware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:17 PM

I found an article about how Macs are running on aging hardware. Basically Apple is focusing to many resources on there mobile devices and not enough on there desktop/laptop hardware.

Heres a link the the article: http://m.tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/microsoft-exec-calls-out-apple-on-its-aging-mac-hardware-and-hes-right-328718.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:24 PM

Hi Super, interesting find.

I was 34 back in 1992 when I bought my first PC. I almost bought an Apple, because it was considered that it and Macintosh OS were the bee's knees, by graphic artists and other industry professionals. Budgetary concerns saw me buy an IBM clone running Windows 3.1 for AUD$2,000 compared to an Apple for $3,000.

One might, if one was cynical, wonder whether Microsoft's angst with Apple, as espoused by your find, had anything to do with financial regrets?

Viewers might or might not know that in 1997 Microsoft bailed out Apple, whom were on the verge of bankruptcy. They were worth about 3 billion and change, and losing a billion a year.

Microsoft injected $150 million in buying non-voting preferred shares, which later degenerated into urban legend that M$ owned 15% of Apple and had voting rights.

In 2001, Microsoft converted those shares to ordinary stock, and divested itself of that stock between 2001 and 2003/04.

Curiously enough (or not so), Apple's iPod was released on October 23 2001, 8 and a half months after its release of (Macintosh) iTunes. From there of course, we have gone on to see the impact of iPhones and iPads.

Last figures I have on richest companies (including the tech ones) are from Forbes, last May, which relevantly show:

• Apple at No. 8 - $586 Billion, CEO Timothy Cook
  • MS at No. 23 - $407 billion, CEO Satya Nadella
  • Alphabet (owner of Google) at No.27 - $500.1 billion, CEO Larry Page ... and yes I know the figures look out of order, to do with "market cap"

Source : http://www.forbes.com/global2000/#/tab:overall

IMO, given your reporting, Apple-Mac users/owners should feel short-changed with the change in business model of Apple during the 21st century.

I'll stop just short of saying, re Apple, that the i's have it, and that Apple-Mac users can breathe new life into their tired hardware by accommodating Linux on it.

Avagudweegend

:wizardball: Wizard

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:39 AM

I suppose it's all how you look at it. You could say since the hardware has been around longer, it's proven reliable/stable. So running older hardware isn't always a bad thing.

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, but for those looking for the "next big thing" (NBT), old hardware would just be a drag. It seems unprofessional/dishonest.

(Edit: Changed next best thing to next big thing, because that's the way the acronym goes.)

Edited by Kakuzu, 26 November 2016 - 02:39 PM.

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 984 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:56 PM

Good point wizardfromoz. :thumbup2:

And I agree Kakuzu Apple ought to be making newer hardware like a tablet/laptop hybrid kinda like Microsoft is doing.

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:13 PM

Good point wizardfromoz. :thumbup2:

,,, which one, Supes? I thought they were all good.

But then I have Aspie (Asperger's Syndrome), as you are aware :hysterical: :hysterical:

avagudwun, all

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users