Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying Linux for the first time

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 smoggy

smoggy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:21 PM

I'm trying Linux for the first time Ubuntu.

The Software center is blank how do I make things show  up?

Today is my first time using Linux.

I would have used Lubuntu but it failed to load at the end of the installation saying something about booting something failed.

Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:25 PM

Hi Sam :welcome:  to BC and Linux.

Can you please tell us the version of Ubuntu and Lubuntu you tried installing, Eg Ubuntu 16.04,  32 or 64 bit?

How did you install it?

Can you tell us about your PC? Did you just do the default install? Did you select install updates and 3rd party software during install?

Processor type

How much ram you have?

How big is the hard drive you are installing to?

Do you have a graphics card, if so what type?

The more information you provide the better we can help you.

Nick

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 smoggy

smoggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:54 AM

Hello Nick

The version of Ubuntu I am now using is 16.04 and it was installed by downloading the file from the site and then using ashampoo to make a bootable iso file. It all went OK but the software center is empty. I have tried installing it multiple times with the same effect.

The computer is an old samsung notebook hence why I wanted Lubuntu but it will not install.

It has an itel atom dual core

about 400GB hd

2 gb of ram

onboard gpu an intel I think :)

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:58 AM

Hi

Try this, open terminal and type the following.

sudo apt purge gnome-software ubuntu-software
sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt install gnome-software ubuntu-software

http://askubuntu.com/questions/760278/the-new-software-center-in-ubuntu-16-04-shows-no-application-data-found

Edited by NickAu, 23 November 2016 - 05:59 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 smoggy

smoggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:00 AM

Hi I tried this twice and software centers look has changed but it is still empty.

#6 smoggy

smoggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

Hold on I am wrong I have 3 software centers now and one does work, one is for lubuntu. Thank you

May I also ask what the best firewall and antivirus is for Linux please and what is a light version of Linux as Lubuntu wont install for me.

Sam

Edited by smoggy, 23 November 2016 - 07:27 AM.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:36 AM

Hi Sam,

Most Linux users don't use anti-virus software because there is very little chance of being infected, in comparison to Windows, so there isn't much in the way of anti-virus software for Linux. If you do want to try some then I suggest Sophos:

Sophos Antivirus For Linux

Personally I use NoScript and AdBlockPlus Firefox plug-ins, for security on the internet.

Ubuntu comes with a firewall already installed; you just have to activate it:

Activate the firewall in Debian based distros

Edited by Al1000, 23 November 2016 - 07:38 AM.

#8 smoggy

smoggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

Thank you Al1000

I have installed the default firewall and will give the AV a go. :)

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:20 AM

You're welcome. :)

Good luck with Sophos. There is also a command line application you may come across, called Clam-AV, which has a graphical front-end called Clam-TK. You can install all of this by simply running this command in a terminal:
sudo apt-get install clamtk
... and everything else will be installed automatically. However although Clam-AV is used as an anti-virus scanner on Linux, it is designed to scan emails and not operating systems, and is notorious for both being ineffective at scanning operating systems and reporting false positives.

So while it is much easier to install than Sophos, it's not nearly so effective at scanning operating systems, which is why I recommended Sophos.

Although if you are interested in trying out different anti-virus applications on Linux, Clam-AV (with or without Clam-TK) may be something you would be interested in. It can be uninstalled just as easily as it can be installed. :)

Edited by Al1000, 23 November 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

Ubuntu can be temperamental sometimes and its new software center has many quirks.

As for antivirus it is useless for linux, most linux AV clients scan for windows viruses and will not detect linux viruses.

And keep in mind that while yes Linux does have its viruses but they have very limited scope and you will be unlikely to encounter them plus they really wont do anything unless you let them.

Plus most linux viruses are concept viruses and ther chances of encountering them are very rare and its not like they are easy to catch.

No OS is bulletproof, but by a large margin linux is still more secure than windows for several reasons:

1: Most linux distros like Ubuntu use something called a software repository where software is usually checked regularly, this is not like goinmg to a website somewhere and hoping for the best a .exe isnt infected.

2: Maintainers insure the quality of the software

3: You need to give app installation root/administrator permission giving you a added barrier

Now does linux have security flaws? Yes but even Apple isnt immune to this

Can your browser get hijacked? Yes but again its not like other OS's cant have this happen

But still linux is very secure and normally if a security flaw is found it will get fixed.

Sure mistakes happen and old bugs are found but that is just the nature of making a OS.

The biggest flaw of any system is the person who makes it, its the universal constant.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 smoggy

smoggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

Yes I am having a few problems with Ubuntu even the light version seems to run slower than windows seven.

Missing software center that is fixed now thanks to NickAu. :)

It is lagging pretty badly and now I have found a few versions of Ubuntu on the computer not a good first experience but it's all a learning experience. I would have liked it to have gone a bit smoother because Linux is not as easy to use as Windows. Thanks for the hints and tips :)

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

Another thing you might want to do is install a proprietary video driver, if there is one available for your graphics chip. At the moment you will probably be using a generic open-source video driver.

Start typing "additional drivers" in DASH, and when the application opens, it should scan your system and tell you if it recommends a driver. If it does, just click on the driver to install it.

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

what is a light version of Linux as Lubuntu wont install for me.

Xubuntu is another lightweight version of Ubuntu, that I would recommend for beginners.

The fastest and lightest Linux is Puppy, but it's not a full Linux distro.

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

Hi, smoggy.  :welcome:  to 'the gang'..!

Linux is definitely a good choice for an older netbook like yours. I can understand your thinking behind wanting to go for Lubuntu, since it's the lightweight variant of Ubuntu.

There's also the issue of drivers. In Linux, it isn't an issue.....98% of device drivers are built-in to the Linux kernel by default. In Windows, you've got to update all your drivers individually, by hunting them up on their respective websites. In Linux, you update the kernel. Job done! ALL drivers updated at the same time.

And malware, while not 'non-existent', is so rare as to be extremely unusual. That's why AV is not really needed, unless you're running something like an e-mail server, and you want to stop Windows users from passing crap onto other Windows users. Reputations in the Linux ecosphere can be made (or broken) over an issue like this.

ALL LInux distros have strong firewalls built-in as standard; as stated, they usually just need to be activated.

Do be aware that there are alternatives to the 'buntu-based distros; many people think these are the only ones there are, they're so heavily advertised, and mentioned everywhere you look on the Web. If you really want something lightweight, you could do worse than try what I run myself (and what Al has mentioned).....'Puppy' Linux. It's a tiny little thing; typically around 200-250 MB in size. It loads into, and runs entirely from RAM (the fastest part of any machine by an order of magnitude).....and, best of all, you don't even have to install it to your hard drive if you don't want to. You can run it from what's called a 'multi-session' DVD; the changes from each session are 'written' back to the DVD at the end of the session. Or, you can install it to, and run it entirely from, a flash drive. Puppy will ask if you want to create what's called a 'save-file' at the end of the first session. This will hold all your changes, alterations,and customizations, every time you shut down.

It sounds complicated, I know, but trust me.....it's very easy to get the hang of, really..!

Al has written a tutorial on how to install Puppy:-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579574/how-to-install-puppy-linux-frugal-and-configure-grub2-bootloader/

....although this is written more from the point of someone wanting to dual-boot, who has already got a Linux distro installed, and which uses the GRUB2 bootloader.

Here's a good tutorial for installing the current Puppy 'Tahrpup' to a flash drive (if you're interested):-

https://www.lifewire.com/install-puppy-linux-tahr-usb-drive-2202096

Just a couple of suggestions. Anything you may want to know.....just ask. That's what we're here for!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 23 November 2016 - 11:30 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:04 AM

Yes I am having a few problems with Ubuntu even the light version seems to run slower than windows seven.

Missing software center that is fixed now thanks to NickAu. :)

It is lagging pretty badly and now I have found a few versions of Ubuntu on the computer not a good first experience but it's all a learning experience. I would have liked it to have gone a bit smoother because Linux is not as easy to use as Windows. Thanks for the hints and tips :)

Actually I find linux to be easier than windows, your issue is that you are using ubuntu.

Ubuntu while yes a good distro to start with is not that great in some areas.

For one its unity interface is clunky sometimes, it takes so many notes from OSX and windows 7 yes but i feel that its execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Second its software center is known to be a bit glitchy even with the new one introduced in 16.04

I say you may have wanted to try linux mint before going the ubuntu route.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users