Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Hardware Issue With Screen/Power Button

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shady319

Shady319

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

This post could get a little long. I am going to be as detailed as possible, because I know a few things about the inside of a computer, but this has me baffled.

Laptop HP M7-1015dx

Backstory: I was on a plane in August, hit some turbulence, put a small crack in the bottom of the laptop. Didn't think much of it. Fast forward to this weekend, the laptop cracked completely under the hinge so the screen was a little lopsided and was affecting the speaker panel when tilted back.

So Sunday I decided to open it up, take a look and see if I could get the hinge to sit a little better inside, which I did. Put the computer back together, had no screen.

Okay, maybe I missed a connection, take it back apart, check everything, recheck it all again, had the screen going. Put it back together, opened it up, no screen.

Took just the keyboard off this time so I could access the wires underneath it (power button, Mousepad, Finger print, speakers) while leaving the laptop on.

I noticed that whenever I would connect the power button connector, the screen would go off. When I disconnected it, the screen would turn back on.

I also noticed that the power button, even if it was connected (laptop on but screen was off) that I could only use it that first time to power it on, after that it would not work.

Okay, so bad power button piece, like $5 on ebay. I was going to order one last night.

Popped the battery out to turn off the laptop and then popped it back in and walked away from it for about an hour. Came back in, hooked up the power button to turn it on, and everything worked! Turned it on and off via power button about 5 times, it worked, and I had a screen.

Then, with the laptop on, I shut the lid to hibernate and it and went to open back up, and the screen would not turn back on. Disconnected the power button and it worked.

Let it sit for about 30 minutes, took the battery out, came back in and connected everything, powered on and worked fine as well as the screen. Closed the lid, wouldn't work no more. Unplugged the battery, let it sit for about 30 minutes, everything worked fine. Haven't shut the lid since, and its been on since 10AM this morning. Kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop though.

So I am at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any more information.

Thanks for your time reading this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

IMO...any force sufficient to put a crack in a laptop...may be significant enough to damage other components, since the external case of a laptop is a lot less sensitive to force...than the internal components.

Louis0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users