Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FreeNas Server Build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mjbcomputers

mjbcomputers

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

Alright guys, looking for some input here. I want to build myself a freenas server. In the same hand i want it to be a display piece for the front of my shop, People can come in and just look at something that is alittle over the top and get them talking. So i will do a custom water loop. 

The reason for the Custom water loop isn't for increase performance or overclocking since this is a NAS server, its just, i need storage, to store clients acronis image backups and play with some Virtualization and cloud based technologies, and a display piece would be a good idea. 

Basic specs i am wanting to run

MSI workstation mobo

32gb of ECC ram

Five 6tb IronWolf Drives

500gb Samsung SSD 850 Evo for caching 

Intel Dual add on Network Card

Some cases i was considering

Cooler Masters Master Case 5 Pro <--- I use this on my personal Workstation

Fractal Design R5 Windowed 

.... I don't know what else.

I really which cooler master made the Master Case 5 Pro in a full tower - I think it will be difficult if not impossible to fit 5 drives plus an ssd, custom loop with Res, rad and pump and still make it look clean and open.

w/e i Decide on, the side panel will more then likely be switched to tempered glass.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:27 PM

Why bother with ECC ram if it is a NAS? Why with the "workstation mobo"? NAS builds usually involve much cheaper and smaller parts.

#3 mjbcomputers

mjbcomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:35 PM

its recommended to use ECC ram with Freenas, actually 8gb is the minimum. FreeNas does ALOT more then just act as a storage device. 

"

Hardware Requirements

On the FreeNAS website the minimum hardware requirements are listed as:

• Multicore 64-bit processor (Recommended Intel)
  • 8GB boot drive
  • 8GB of RAM
  • A physical network port

And the recommended hardware is listed as:

• Multicore 64-bit processor (Recommended Intel)
  • 16GB boot drive
  • 16GB of ECC RAM
  • Two directly attached discs (non-hardware RAID)
  • A physical network port"

Edited by mjbcomputers, 22 November 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

Looks nice so far for a build... do you have questions on it, or what's your plan? It seems very interesting... B)

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

If your NAS does not need ECC then why do you? The goal of this devices is to show off to customers, you don't need to spend a boatload on RAM to do that. For display purposes, non-ECC RAM should be just fine. Unless, of course, you are demoing something that can only be done with ECC RAM.

#6 mjbcomputers

mjbcomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

Every system i work on i backup. So i boot into Acronis true image and backup the systems via the network to a storage device. I honestly don't understand how and why you wouldn't want to run ECC ram on something that is going to store important information. I am not looking to put together this "low end" "git er done" system. The price of a good qnap with drives can be over 2 grand.  I want this build to fully serve its purpose and be scalable, while also benefiting from people going "look how pretty"   Then i sell more system builds then i currently do. I can display it up front on a nice self and run cat 6 cables to it and leave it running. 

My only concern is what case to use?  Its a hard choice because i don't want this bare metal box with stuff slammed in it

But it needs to be large enough to accommodate the drive bays Plus all the liquid cooling

#7 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

I honestly don't understand how and why you wouldn't want to run ECC ram on something that is going to store important information.

Agreed here, mate! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users