Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting devices thru RV park wifi.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lrvman

lrvman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:54 PM

I'm staying long term at a RV park with Tengointernet managing the wifi network. I have two devices on the "open" plan, which allows me to bypass the throttling to dial up speeds, and bypasses the login requirements.

What I want to do is to connect a device that will allow me to set up my own private Wi-Fi network using that connection, by adding the MAC address of the router to the "open" network, then be able to link my other devices that I need whenever.

I'm wanting to stream video from my laptop to my Roku, using PlayOn, but I cannot, because of the throttling to slow speeds because my laptop which runs the PlayOn server is on the part of the network that throttles down to very slow speeds if I exceed 1GB of bandwidth a day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

which allows me to bypass the throttling to dial up speeds, and bypasses the login requirements.

If this is your own network, then what is your question? Otherwise, if it is a different network, this is against Bleeping Computer Rules, "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures."

#3 lrvman

lrvman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:55 PM

I'm an authorized user on the network, I need to be able to switch devices on the fly, so I can use my laptop to stream, and to diagnose problems. I'm allowed two devices on the "open" network, and it's a pain to continually swap out MAC addresses by calling them to do so.

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:00 PM

So, you are saying that they allow it?

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

I don't think you can change the MAC address of the wireless AP in the router if you are using it as a wireless repeater, or Wifi > AP > Wifi. You might be able to do it as a wireless bridge though, or Wifi > AP > Wired LAN > Wireless AP. You would need a router compatible with WDS or dd-WRT firmware.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,294 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:14 PM

I think your best bet would be to get a wireless router and not bother attempting to connect it to the Trailer Park's network.  This would resolve your issue streaming from your laptop to the Roku.  You could connect the laptop to the router with a cable and also connect to the trailer park's Internet with the wireless.

If you have more devices that require Internet access you should pay to have them added, rather than attempting to bypass the measures they have in place.  Attempting to bypass their measures may result in total loss of Internet access.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users