Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop glitching

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

Recently, my desktop has begun to glitch out quite a bit. I'm not sure what is going on and I have no idea what it could be. The only thing that I have done recently is download and install Visual Studio 2015 but I can't really see a link between that and the desktop. Just to add on, the desktop looks just like that only it flickers every time I click somewhere with the mouse.

Attached File  Glitched desktop.png   560.79KB   0 downloads

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

Hello there, :)

What are your system specifications? List those please. Also, have you checked for updates for Visual Studio 2015? What is the Visual Studio 2015 build (Full or specific... and if specific, what components were installed)?

I do know update 3 is out for Visual Studio 2015, which fixes a variety of known issues in display, DX12 diagnostics, and more issues. This article is related to the issue, but it mainly addresses problems in VS2015, instead of just Windows 10 (since you mentioned it might have to do with VS2015). However, following troubleshooting steps might help, so let us know how this went, and post your specifications in case it did not work. We can look into it. :)

#3 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:25 PM

System specs are:

CPU: AMD FX-6350

GPU: 750 Ti

RAM: 8 GB

Monitor: Hanspree HE247 DBP

For VS 2015, I have the components: Visual C++ and Python Tools for Visual Studio (September 2016). I've checked for updates and there were none but the problem still keeps arising. It happens when I'm in the application "World of Tanks" and it's in full screen. I'll press the windows button to minimize the full screen window and the desktop will start going funny.

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

...And when you exit the program, does the screen go back to normal or does the screen not reset itself?

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

Can you uninstall and install latest version of graphic card driver.

Does you screen flickers when you right click or left click with your mouse or both?

Posted Image

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

...And when you exit the program, does the screen go back to normal or does the screen not reset itself?

It doesn't go back to normal unfortunately :(

Can you uninstall and install latest version of graphic card driver.

Does you screen flickers when you right click or left click with your mouse or both?

It flickers with both I believe. I'll try reinstalling my graphics driver and see if that helps. 

Edited by Planemaster2, 24 November 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#7 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

Well, I reinstalled the latest update and it seems to have gone (not sure as I've only tested this once) but now, whenever I try to open the Nvidia Control Panel, it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I've checked to see whether I have the permissions to do this (which I do) and another to note is when I right click on the desktop, it doesn't come up with the option to access the control panel - I had to open it from the search menu and it just opens up with the error message.

#8 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:01 PM

Sometimes for these issues, especially for dependencies, it's best to reinstall the other affected products. It is possible to reinstall NVIDIA Control Panel. Try this please and let me know if it works. :)

Edited by Kakuzu, 24 November 2016 - 11:01 PM.

#9 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:08 PM

Sometimes for these issues, especially for dependencies, it's best to reinstall the other affected products. It is possible to reinstall NVIDIA Control Panel. Try this please and let me know if it works. :)

No, it did not work, I still get the error message and it doesn't show up when I right click the desktop  :(

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

Use Revo Uninstaller program to uninstall the graphic card driver and install the graphic card driver as a administrator.

Posted Image

#11 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

Use Revo Uninstaller program to uninstall the graphic card driver and install the graphic card driver as a administrator.

Could you provide a link which you are sure doesn't come bundled with unwanted programs? I'm just a bit tedious with this new PC as my last Laptop was heavily infected with adware to the point I could not use the internet.

#12 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

Hi there, I believe commonly this download works well for most users on this site without bundled programs: http://www.revouninstaller.com/download/revosetup.exe

In fact, I know it does. :)

#13 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:08 PM

Hi there, I believe commonly this download works well for most users on this site without bundled programs: http://www.revouninstaller.com/download/revosetup.exe

In fact, I know it does. :)

Well, I uninstalled it with the RevoUninstaller program, let the program uninstall it normally then let Revo scan and uninstall the other stuff. I went to the Nvidia site to download the graphics drivers prior the link in one of the previous posts, downloaded the latest version and started installing. Now it's saying "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

That does not sound good your graphic card could be malfunctioning can you please try installing previous version of the graphic card driver and let us know if issue resolves don't forget to right click the drive executable and run it as a administrator.

Posted Image

#15 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

Scratch that, it's now installing after the third try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users