Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Shortcut Returns Error For Crtl+alt+[key]


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elinatim

elinatim

  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:46 PM

I am running Office 2003 (Russian version) on a Windows 2000 platform.

I have a shortcut on my desktop named "Voicemail." This shortcut goes to T:\Voicemail.doc, which is a Microsoft Word File.

When I click on the shortcut with my mouse, the Word document opens. When I use the shortcut key (Ctrl+Alt+V), I get the following error message:

Cannot find the file 'T:\Voicemail.doc' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

I have deleted the shortcut and reinstated it by going to the file on the network and choosing to "Send to Desktop." The problem persists. Just to make sure that I did not have another Ctrl+Alt+V shortcut, I deleted the shortcut altogether and pressed the shortcut key combination. Nothing happened when I did this.

***This shortcut used to work both ways. Now it works only when I actually click on it.***

(Moderator edit: moved thread to a more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 29 August 2006 - 11:31 AM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

Okay, here is an interesting postscript:

My computer was running low on memory, so I turned it off and added a memory card. When I turned it back on, it was not working, so I turned it off and found that the memory card was loose. At this point, I decided to add yet another memory card (that makes two new cards). When I turned it back on, the computer booted with no problems.

HOWEVER, I now find that the error I was getting in the aforementioned problem (Cannot find the file...) comes up every time I try to go into a certain folder on the network server (the one I use the most, of course). I have no problems with the other folders. Just to be sure the problem is only on my machine, I went to another workstation and pulled up one of the files giving me this error. It came up with no problems on the other station.

Any ideas?

#3 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

Partially resolved.

I opened MSWord and tried to open a Word document from there. When I did, Word defaulted to *.dot (it was looking for a template). I changed this to *.* I am now able to open files in the offending folder.

I have not yet been able to fix the original problem.

Edited by elinatim, 29 August 2006 - 10:32 AM.


#4 Andrew

Andrew

    Bleepin' Night Watchman


  • Moderator
  • 8,260 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Right behind you
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:44 PM

Are you running any firewall programs?

#5 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:33 PM

RESOLVED:

No firewalls. My Russian version of Office was installed over the top of a US version. The result was multiple Office folders (Office, Office10, Office11). For some reason, the US version (in folder "Office") was missing some dll's. I changed the program assocations for .doc files to the Russian Winword.exe file in Office11. This has fixed all the problems I was having.

The only thing I have not yet figured out is this: When I open the Excel.exe program in Office11, I get the Russian version. When I open Excel.exe in Office10, I get the US version. I have reassociated all .xls files to the Office11 (Russian) program, but they still open in the US version when I access them through Windows Explorer.

Anyway, I can live with that. The real problem is gone.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users