Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Error

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:56 AM

Hello,

This morning when I turned on my laptop, the screen froze on the Republic of Gamers Logo before going into windows and then simply shut down.

Second time when I turned it on, it all went well.

I checked the Event Viewer to see if there was any report and I came across following eventlogs:

EventID 6008: The previous system shutdown at 21:46:30 on ‎21/‎11/‎2016 was unexpected.

EventID 41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Could this be happening becuz of last night's shut down ? What I did was shut down laptop and then unplug it from the wall socket as I don't like leaving it connected to AC during night and I might have unplugged it before it actually shut down becuz I was thinking it would finish the shutdown process on battery.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joooneto

joooneto

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:29 AM

What time did laptop simply shut down? Problably, the error at Event Viewer refers to it. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:52 AM

Shutting a computer down in this manner can be problematic if there are files that haven't shut down completely.  The files can be damaged or corrupted.  I would suggest running sfc /scannow.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.   

Please noticeThis log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Double click on this icon to open the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your dropbox account and post the link in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

I created a link in OneDrive to the cbs file. Click here.

What do you mean by "Shutting a computer down in this manner can be problematic if there are files that haven't shut down completely." ? 

What I done is shut it down normally from start, and I just disconnect the power adaptor from wall outlet during the shutdown. The shutdown should go on normally using the battery still, right ?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:39 PM

Could this be happening becuz of last night's shut down ? What I did was shut down laptop and then unplug it from the wall socket as I don't like leaving it connected to AC during night and I might have unplugged it before it actually shut down becuz I was thinking it would finish the shutdown process on battery.

You indicated that the shutdown could be because you may have caused it.  No matter, if it was a hard shutdown and files hadn't been completely closed those files can be damaged.  Because of this it is a good idea to run the sfc /scannow to be sure there are no corrupted files.  If when you run this application and no corrupt files are found it will stat "Windows did no find any integrity violations".  If you do not receive this message post the log of this scan.

Edited by dc3, 22 November 2016 - 12:51 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:50 PM

Yeah but I don't think that should necessarily be a problem, right ? The laptop should use power from the battery to finish it's shutdown process, even tho' I disconnect it from the power outlet. Unless I'm missing something. I'll wait for it to completely shutdown before I disconnect it from now on I guess.

Anyway, anything in the log file I should be worried about ?

Thanks!

EDIT: I did not receive that message. Instead I got something like not all files could be fixed or something similar. I posted the cbs log in the previous post.

Edited by Thoth_Dhwty, 22 November 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:02 PM

You will need to open the Command Prompt to do the following command.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

When the Command Prompt is open copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Let me know the results.

Edited by dc3, 22 November 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#8 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Attached Files

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

You need to be aware that I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it contains.  Use a program like dropbox if the file is too large to post it in your topic.  If it will fit in your topic... print it there always.

You need to do a inplace upgrade to repair the store.  In order to do this you will need download the Windows 10 installation media ISO to create the bootable installation media.  Use the Media Creation Tool to make a bootable disc or flash drive.  Go to the second option "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC."  Follow the instruction to create your installation media.

Once you have the installation media use the instructions at Windows Ten Forums to do the inplace upgrade.

#10 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:40 PM

I understand. The only reason I used OneDrive to upload the cbs log was becuz I didn't want to register my credit card with Dropbox.

I will do the upgrade tonight and will let you know how all went later. Thanks for the support so far.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:11 PM

From post #3

Please noticeThis log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.

Edited by dc3, 22 November 2016 - 03:12 PM.

#12 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

I done the upgrade and ran the command in post #7. This is the outcome:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:58 AM

Did this resolve your problem?

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

"...Shutting a computer down in this manner can be problematic if there are files that haven't shut down completely. The files can be damaged or corrupted. .." -- dc3

While it is certainly true that a laptop's battery often contains enough stored energy to power a laptop's proper shut down -- if a proper shutdown was not accomplished during the laptop's being "fed energy" from its battery, indeed, problems will arise from improperly closed data files and/or improperly closed program EXEs and maybe DLLs[?]. dc3's correct, right as rain, even though an improper shutdown most of the time can be "fixed" by Windows' next power up or Restart, sometimes as dc3 indicated damaged or corrupted data files and program files can result. From personal experience with "forced" shutdowns, even a few of my normal processes had to be "rebuilt" after such shutdowns.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 November 2016 - 02:28 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

It appears so. Last night I let laptop fully shut down and then unplugged so no problem this morning. I will monitor event viewer for messages for next 2-3 days and see how it reacts, but so far so good. Thanks for helping me!

And while we at it, there's another Error coming up quite often in event viewer. It looks like this:

EventID 10016 - DistributedCOM

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 

{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
 and APPID 
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I don't know if I should be worried for it,  but what you think ? 

Thanks a lot anyway for all the help! Appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users