Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD unable to navigate the recovery screen?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 xxnoname77xx

xxnoname77xx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

Lenovo Yoga tablet 2-1051F receives error code 0x0c0000098 error. I have the emergency program on my usb drive But when I hold the power and volume button to get to the menu to run from the USB drive to run the emergency disk the BSOD pops up. Any other ideas? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

Was this originally Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10?

The USB drive you mentioned, is this Windows 10 installation media?

The 0x0c0000098 is indicative of a failure with the Boot Configuration Data.  If you can use the recovery madia to access the System Recovery Options you can open the Command Prompt and run the following command.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Copy this command and paste it in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 xxnoname77xx

xxnoname77xx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:38 AM

Windows 8-Windows 10 when I start it it says preparing repair then the BSOD. If I hold power and volume button I get Novo menu options normal startup, BIOS, Boot menu, system recovery. I am now charging the pc to try an option.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:19 PM

Let us know what you have tried and the results.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 xxnoname77xx

xxnoname77xx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

I only get boot manager option in boot option menu. If I restore factory defaults still bsod. If I do system recovery I get 0x0c000025. I have a usb plugged in with emergency repair. Does this usb need full windows 8 in order to fix the issue?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

In your first post you listed both Windows 8 (not 8.1?) and Windows 10.  Are you set up to dual boot these two operating systems?

Is Windows 10 a upgrade from Windows 8.1?

#7 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:04 AM

This was upgraded from 8.1 to 10 when it was purchased. I cannot dual boot.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Edited by dc3, 02 December 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#9 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

I realized this pc was 8.1 all along and never windows 1. Can I do the same for a windows 8.1?

#10 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:32 AM

I used the media convertor and have win10 on a usb started the pc via usb drive but once the win 10 install screen comes up I am unable to use the touchscreen or the bluetooth keyboard. I am guessing b/c drivers aren't installed yet since I didn't get that far. The laptop is win 8.1 and I think I need to get 8.1 on the media creation tool.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

#12 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

Hmmm either one I am unable to select next either by touchscreen or the bluetooth keyboard.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

If you have another working computer you can create the installation media on it and then install it on the computer with the problem.

#14 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

I created the installation media from my surface pro 4 onto a usb. I ran the usb via bootup on the broken pc and wasn't able to use the touch or keyboard. What other way can I do it? I have a desktop pc as well. Do you think create the media from the desktop pc to the usb and try again?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

It sounds like the installation media may be corrupt.  I would use the desktop to create the installation media and try again.  When you boot from the installation media you should be able to use your computer's peripheral devices to install the operating system.  Because the computer is booting from the installation media the Windows installation on the hdd doesn't come into play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users