Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing One Laptop with Another

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:14 AM

The laptop on which I'm starting this thread is terminal. Each time I reboot, it takes longer and incomplete boots become more frequent. I don't think it will be long before it won't boot up at all. I've purchased a new Dell with Windows 7 in hopes of transferring everything from this one to the new one before this one ends up in Boot Hill.

My question: If you were about to do this and the terminal laptop were still functional (only the boot speed is affected. Once booted, speed is completely normal.)  what steps exactly (I mean really dumb it down) would you take to make the transition as seamless and easy as possible? I have tons of blank DVD + R discs on which to record backup but I would have to be walked through the process, from backing up the files to entering the discs into the new laptop. In short, I would like to know, from beginning to end, exactly what you would do to make the transition as smooth as possible and transferring as much info as possible. Thanks. 

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2016 - 02:11 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joooneto

joooneto

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

The laptop still work? If yes, I'd use "Transferência fácil do Windows" (I don't know what's name in english, I think is Easy windows download).

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:50 AM

Windows Easy Transfer? Yup, I discovered that this morning after first making a full backup dvd, a System Repair disc, and 8 System Image discs. Took over 4 hours.

Made the backup discs in case this one rolls a 7 before the new one arrives. I guess, if this is still running by then, Windows Easy Transfer would be my first attempt, correct? However, if it dies before then, I guess I try the discs but I'm not sure exactly how to actually use them to transfer everything, whereas the Easy Transfer looks pretty straightforward. I can connect them both on my wifi. I don't believe I have a cable. Thanks for the suggestion. If I'm unsuccessful for any reason, I'll be back for more advice.

#4 joooneto

joooneto

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

guess, if this is still running by then, Windows Easy Transfer would be my first attempt, correct? 

Yes, I think. It's much more easy (or easier?).

#5 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:18 AM

It does seem to be pretty easy. I only went as far as to find out how to link them up and whether or not I would need a cable. I found I could do it via wifi so I'm all set for now. If I have problems, especially if this one dies beforehand, I'll be back with questions about how to use the discs I created this morning. I hope it doesn't come to that, so it probably will. Thanks for your response.

#6 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:45 AM

I have another question pertaining to this thread. Is there a way to export the entire contents (add-ons, saved passwords, etc.) of my Firefox browser to the same version in my new laptop? I don't want to have to completely reinstall all my add-ons individually. It's quite a list.

#7 joooneto

joooneto

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

Yes, if you create a Firefox account. 

#8 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:04 PM

I'm not sure what that means. I've used Firefox for many years as my default browser. What more must I do to establish an account?

#9 joooneto

joooneto

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

Create one. Menu > Sync > Create Account

Edited by joooneto, 23 November 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#10 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

Where does "Menu" come from? Where do I find Menu as a place to start?

#11 joooneto

joooneto

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

At top right

#12 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

Please excuse my ignorance. I went to the Menu and found that I already have an account. I opened one a while ago and forgot. All of the boxes are checked.

Now, I assume I install the same version of Firefox on the new laptop and sync from the menu there. Is that correct?

#13 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:18 PM

I'm back.2 problems:

1) With a refurbished new installation, how long should I let Windows Update run for the first time before I can be sure something is wrong? It's been checking for updates for over three hours. It says it's never been checked before. The progress bar still moves left to right constantly. How long is too long?

2) When I synced Firefox between the two laptops, all went well except both my Bookmarks Toolbar and my Bookmarks list contain endless redundancies, in both laptops. It seems that it's impossible to dump them all. They keep coming back. How can I dump all of my bookmarks in one easy move without them coming back so I can start the Bookmarks list again?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users