Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts upon playing and sometimes launching games

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 farnett44

farnett44

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:07 PM

I'm losing my mind here and really need some help. A few weeks ago I shorted a sata port and been trying to assess damage ever since. At first everything seemed fine, but then games started restarting randomly on me, although some games seem to be totally fine. Currently one game rarely makes it past the loading screen without restarting my computer. When it restarts, there is no blue screen even if I tell it not to automatically restart. In the beginnging I was getting a few bluescreens but they all had different error messages. Looking in the event viewer just shows the unhelpful 41l Kernel-Power error code.

I've tried anything and everything I can think of and am in serious need of help. Please and thank you!

Things I've tried:

Replaced: PSU, Motherboard, Case (not that it matters)

Tests: MemTest86, SeaTools for HDD, Windows chkdsk, FurMark, HotCPU 

Reinstall Windows 10, turn off all audio drivers but one on all of them, boot with each stick of RAM individually 

All tests passed, no errors found on any of them. I have not seen GPU or CPU temp beyond 70.

Games that crash: Dishonored 2, HOTS

Games that I cannot get to crash at all: Deus Ex Human Revolution

My Build

msi z97 gaming motherboard
intel i7 4770k
corsair rm 750
corsair h80i watercooler
1070 GTX

Edited by farnett44, 21 November 2016 - 11:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:29 AM

Event ID 41 errors are simply Windows' way of saying it doesn't know why the system shut down.

Most often this is a hardware problem (although it can also be due to compatibility issues or low-level driver problems).

I'd start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html (feel free to skip those that you've already done)

Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

If they all pass, then I'd try this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Maybe try another video card?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:48 AM

I'm losing my mind here and really need some help. A few weeks ago I shorted a sata port and been trying to assess damage ever since. At first everything seemed fine, but then games started restarting randomly on me, although some games seem to be totally fine. Currently one game rarely makes it past the loading screen without restarting my computer. When it restarts, there is no blue screen even if I tell it not to automatically restart. In the beginnging I was getting a few bluescreens but they all had different error messages. Looking in the event viewer just shows the unhelpful 41l Kernel-Power error code.

I've tried anything and everything I can think of and am in serious need of help. Please and thank you!

Things I've tried:

Replaced: PSU, Motherboard, Case (not that it matters)

Tests: MemTest86, SeaTools for HDD, Windows chkdsk, FurMark, HotCPU 

Reinstall Windows 10, turn off all audio drivers but one on all of them, boot with each stick of RAM individually 

All tests passed, no errors found on any of them. I have not seen GPU or CPU temp beyond 70.

Games that crash: Dishonored 2, HOTS

Games that I cannot get to crash at all: Deus Ex Human Revolution

My Build

msi z97 gaming motherboard
intel i7 4770k
corsair rm 750
corsair h80i watercooler
1070 GTX

Hi

Possible to gimme a log of your system using Minitoolbox? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Thanks.

#4 farnett44

farnett44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'll try that out as soon as I get home tonight. As far as the video card goes I did replace it after it fried my sata port, so I'm assuming that isn't the issue.

#5 farnett44

farnett44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

I have run all the tests now that you have suggested and I'm still not seeing any issues. For whatever reason my components seem to be fine when testing them individually, but when actually playing games is when they fail. This makes me think it's a driver issue, but I don't even know where to start with that.

I did get a few hints today however. I got new RAM to for sure rule that out as a possibility and I got a slightly different crash than I've gotten before. This time after about 5-10 minutes in game I got a BSOD. This BSOD was KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and it there was a loud buzzing like the audio got locked up on a single sound. This may mean that the memory was one issue and there's still another, or it's just a new error of the same underlying problem.

@JinXiang91 I've added the log you asked for.

Attached File  MTB.txt   47.53KB   2 downloads

#6 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:34 AM

I have run all the tests now that you have suggested and I'm still not seeing any issues. For whatever reason my components seem to be fine when testing them individually, but when actually playing games is when they fail. This makes me think it's a driver issue, but I don't even know where to start with that.

I did get a few hints today however. I got new RAM to for sure rule that out as a possibility and I got a slightly different crash than I've gotten before. This time after about 5-10 minutes in game I got a BSOD. This BSOD was KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and it there was a loud buzzing like the audio got locked up on a single sound. This may mean that the memory was one issue and there's still another, or it's just a new error of the same underlying problem.

attachicon.gifMTB.txt

Hi,

Please upload the BSOD so that I can analyze, also please install your graphic card drivers and set the games to run under Nvidia GPU processor.

Thanks.

#7 farnett44

farnett44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:12 AM

So I ran FurMark again and was able to get my computer to freeze (not restart) however from what I've read 71 degrees should not be enough to force a restart

Attached Files

#8 farnett44

farnett44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:22 AM

attachicon.gifMTB.txt

Hi,

Please upload the BSOD so that I can analyze, also please install your graphic card drivers and set the games to run under Nvidia GPU processor.

Thanks.

I am pretty sure my games are set to run under the Nvidia GPU, I am getting over 60fps on a very power hungry game which would not be possible with onboard graphics. I also just did a clean install of the Nvidia drivers just now so I should be up to date. I'm not totally sure what you are wanting with the BSOD upload, but hopefully this helps.

Attached Files

#9 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:39 AM

attachicon.gifMTB.txt

Hi,

Thanks.

I am pretty sure my games are set to run under the Nvidia GPU, I am getting over 60fps on a very power hungry game which would not be possible with onboard graphics. I also just did a clean install of the Nvidia drivers just now so I should be up to date. I'm not totally sure what you are wanting with the BSOD upload, but hopefully this helps.

Hi

I would like to eliminate the possiblity of hardware faults. You may wish to do the following

- Running SFC checker to check for corrupted system files 
- Uninstall the current patch of Nvidia and install an older Nvidia driver version (Temp solution if it helps)

Thanks.

The KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE bug check has a value of 0x00000139. This bug check indicates that the kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.

Source : 
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj569891(v=vs.85).aspx

#10 farnett44

farnett44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:11 AM

So I was going through all of the tests again, and I decided to try a second program for testing my processor. I downloaded prime95 and my computer immediately shutdown (within 5 seconds of it starting). I've run some intensive stuff before with no problems (like the furmark benchmark) so I'm wondering, is this possibly a multithreading issue with my CPU? Does that mean it needs to be replaced?

Edited by farnett44, 23 November 2016 - 02:12 AM.

#11 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:46 AM

So I was going through all of the tests again, and I decided to try a second program for testing my processor. I downloaded prime95 and my computer immediately shutdown (within 5 seconds of it starting). I've run some intensive stuff before with no problems (like the furmark benchmark) so I'm wondering, is this possibly a multithreading issue with my CPU? Does that mean it needs to be replaced?

I doubt so. Since PSU and Motherboard you have already replaced them so I don't think they are the issue. 

Let's monitor on the SFC test and revert to an older driver version and see whether it helps.

Thanks.

#12 farnett44

farnett44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:10 AM

I reset windows to roll back all the drivers and still had the same issue. I bought a new CPU to try and see if that would fix the issue, and the test passed immediately, so I'm thinking this was a CPU issue all along and that when I fried my sata port it also messed with my CPU as well.

#13 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

I reset windows to roll back all the drivers and still had the same issue. I bought a new CPU to try and see if that would fix the issue, and the test passed immediately, so I'm thinking this was a CPU issue all along and that when I fried my sata port it also messed with my CPU as well.

Let's monitor and see how it goes, If the issue didn't occur again within 2 weeks, your PC is healthy once again.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users