Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1) How to auto lock computer .. 2) Updates ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:34 PM

Hi all. Long time ..

I am thoroughly enjoying my Linux experience and marvelling at how good it all continues to be.

Two things please;

1)How do I set my computer (latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon.. I think..) to lock screen or go to sleep automatically after, say. 15 minutes of inactivity ? Simple thing, but yes, I've searched around for it and can't find it.

2) I have it set on auto update and accept ALL updates. The other day I got a large one (43mb ?) that said something about Rosa. But after it all went through, I can't see that it's now Rosa .. it seems to still be Cinnamon, which is fine be me,  'cos I love it, but just want to know what's going on.

Ta, Jargos

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

You may now find you are running Mint 17.3 - Rosa was the name given to that version just as Mint 18 is Sarah. Cinnamon is the desktop which is available in most versions of Mint.

I can't help you with the lock screen or sleep question but both my computers running Mint do this automatically, both in 17.3 and 18.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,921 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:57 PM

Look in settings/ screensaver & lock settings, Set the turn off screen to 15 minutes, Set the " lock " slider to on and make sure the require password is selected.

Screensaver-Linux-Mint-16.jpeg

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

First off, this is what you are running right now, at least that's what my records show, unless you Upgraded.  I don't use Cinnamon, in Mate it is split between two differnt settings windows.  Maybe Nick has it there, or that's 18 I can't remember.  In Mate it is "Power Management Preferences" and "Screensaver"   

Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13  Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela

Edited by pcpunk, 21 November 2016 - 08:18 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:59 PM

Hi all. Long time ..

I am thoroughly enjoying my Linux experience and marvelling at how good it all continues to be.

Two things please;

1)How do I set my computer (latest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon.. I think..) to lock screen or go to sleep automatically after, say. 15 minutes of inactivity ? Simple thing, but yes, I've searched around for it and can't find it.

2) I have it set on auto update and accept ALL updates. The other day I got a large one (43mb ?) that said something about Rosa. But after it all went through, I can't see that it's now Rosa .. it seems to still be Cinnamon, which is fine be me,  'cos I love it, but just want to know what's going on.

Ta, Jargos

Yeah look into the system settings on Mint.

I am not using cinnamon right now but there are two settings to pay attention to, power and screensaver.

Just play around in your system its the best way to learn.

Anyhow Linuix mint updates are not really like those in windows

Mint is based on a long term support model meaning there are no interim releases but there are big main releases.

If you update Mint 17 it usually stays mint 17 it wont up to mint 18 and its generally not recommendedIn a way Mint is a little like windows in this respect as its usually better to be fresh then go between windows versions, going from mint version to mint version without reinstalling.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:25 AM

Hi all. OK, thanks for all the info above.

Sleep / lock is under screensaver .. who would have thunk it.

Anyway, using the info above I found it.

Although it was all a bit different from the responses above (including the screenshot in post #3) I now have it sorted.

Thanks guys.

BTW, system info tells me I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3, version 2.8.8

I am eminently happy with this. And not trying to change it.

I am just curious about the 'Rosa' update that happened recently (as mentioned in my OP - about 43mb), and it is still not clear to me from the above responses what I have, or rather, where 'Rosa' comes into it, and what it was all about, given that I saw no noticeable change subsequently.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:51 AM

...I can't see that it's now Rosa .. it seems to still be Cinnamon...

Cinnamon is the desktop (alternative desktops include MATE, KDE and Xfce), and Rosa is the name of Mint 17.3. (EDIT: Chris mentioned this in post #2)

More info on naming:

Have you ever wondered about the code name of the latest release of your favorite Linux distribution?

The upcoming Linux Mint 18 has been codenamed Sarah. Ubuntu 16.04 will be called Xenial Xerus. The list goes on like that.

https://itsfoss.com/linux-code-names/

Edited by Al1000, 22 November 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:11 AM

Haha, it's right in your Signature also, you must have Upgraded to 17.3 which is fine if all keeps working, and it should.  You most likely won't see the difference, here are the release notes if you find time to read.

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rosa_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

Edited by pcpunk, 22 November 2016 - 06:53 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,921 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:05 PM

The other day I got a large one (43mb ?)

Both Firefox and Google Chrome had updates this week and both were about that size.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:29 AM

Hi all, and thank you for the replies.

#7 - now understood, Al1000. One thing not clear .. when Mint 18 comes, will it be in my updates or do I have to un-install / install (yuk!)

#8 - Haha .. so it is, pcp. I'll go and update it.

#9 - Ah, then it was probably Firefox (I don't use Chrome) and I was conflating that with a Linux update.

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:50 AM

Mint 18 is already out.

It rerleased a few months ago and yes for mint its actually recommended you fresh install to upgrade.

This is why you use different partitioning schemes with it so you dont have to back up your user data each time

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:07 AM

Hey JA, and yes it has been a while. Good to hear you are still enjoying the *Nix!

Question for you - do you perform your updates via the GUI software updater, ie when the little shield in your Panel is coloured, or do you perform it at Terminal?

Subject to your response, I can show you how to better identify the "biggies" and download them faster, particularly applying to Aussies, and on-topic.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:42 AM

#7 - now understood, Al1000. One thing not clear .. when Mint 18 comes, will it be in my updates or do I have to un-install / install (yuk!)

It can be upgraded:

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

There is of course no need to do so, since as the tutorial mentions your current distro is supported until 2019.

#14 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:22 PM

Mint 18 is already out.

It rerleased a few months ago and yes for mint its actually recommended you fresh install to upgrade.

This is why you use different partitioning schemes with it so you dont have to back up your user data each time

Hi MRB, well, partitioning schemes is NOT one of my finer points and not what I am capable of going into, so I will see what comes from the other replies here. Thanks.

#15 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

Hey JA, and yes it has been a while. Good to hear you are still enjoying the *Nix!

Question for you - do you perform your updates via the GUI software updater, ie when the little shield in your Panel is coloured, or do you perform it at Terminal?

Subject to your response, I can show you how to better identify the "biggies" and download them faster, particularly applying to Aussies, and on-topic.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

Hi Wiz, nice to hear from you. yes, it's been a while ..

Yes, I am still enjoying my Linux experience - one could say even more so. 95% of my work is now on Linux.

Yes, I use the little shield thingy - I accept each and every update without really looking into it too much at all. It's a trust thing. I trust Linux as much as I distrust Microsoft.

I don't have a problem with the speed of the downloads at all. It all happens real timely. The 43mb download and install I referred to earlier happened in a couple of minutes - really. No problemo!

Cheers cobber :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users