Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to feed ASDL2 through to a cable router using another device?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hi there

I purchased an ASUS RT-AC68U wireless router online as I wished to replace my existing wireless router. I didn't get round to setting it up straight away.

Once I did I found that it wasn't compatible with my ASDL2 broadband because it was a wireless router. What I needed was Asus's DSL router model and not their wireless router model.

The DSL router model is also wireless and support ASDL2, whereas their wireless router model, whilst also being wireless, is only compatible with cable modems.

As an aside I think calling a cable router wireless is confusing as one might think the DSL one isn't wireless. I didn't notice the smaller print, so my fault.

Anyway it was over 28 days when I attempted to set it up so I couldn't return it.

Is there away of getting another device to connect to my wireless router, so that I can feed the ASDL2 through it, or am I best off selling my router and buying the correct one?

Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:03 AM

You need a adsl modem.  Here are some examples

http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/networking/best-dsl-modems/

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

Who is the ISP?

#4 infobleep

infobleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

Thank you for your replies. My ISP is plusnet. The modem that I had from them stopped working, which is why I got this wireless router.

Looks like I'll just have to sell the wireless route that is a cable modem and buy the ASDL modem that is a wireless router.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

You don't need to sell your Asus router. You just need to buy a DSL modem to go with it. Modems take the connection from the ISP and make it ethernet. Routers take the ethernet connection and share it amount multiple users, including wireless. Gateways are modems and routers combined. Since you already have something that does wireless (your Asus router) a gateway would be redundant. 

I would suggest buying something like the Netgear DM200(60$) or D-link DSL-520B(37$). The Netgear link also has a good video showing you how to hook everything up. You will get much better Wifi using one of those modems and your Asus router then you will get from a gateway. I checked Plusnet's website, and their only requirements is that it is ADSL+ but you may want to call them (0800 432 0200) to double check.

Edited by Trikein, 25 November 2016 - 04:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users