Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about pc hardware for hd/4k viewing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 patai3295

patai3295

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

whenever i stream movies that says BRrip or 1080p its often very lousy quality.. was curious if its because of my hardware that im running on my pc to hdmi to my 1080p 55inch. i added a SS of the specs of my rig its pretty old but runs decent. i have a 70inch 4k vizio being delivered tomorrow so im trying to figure out everything i need to know to receive that 4k quality. debating if i should spend like 800$ and get a nice home theater/gaming rig for the new tv.

also seems if i download the movies say in 1080p the picture is definitely better but still not like if i were to buy a 1080p dvd and pop it in my ps4.. any info would be greatly appreciated 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joooneto

joooneto

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:05 AM

Drivers updated? HDMI cable had quality? Is it very long?

#3 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

Drivers are updated, hdmi cable is good quality and 5ft long... If I upgraded my gpu wouldn't that help the quality of the picture on the 4k TV? And also upgrading the cpu or not so much

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:18 PM

These are NVIDIA drivers.  You need to uninstall the old drivers first, then install the new driver.  Did you do this?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:48 PM

whenever i stream movies that says BRrip or 1080p its often very lousy quality.. was curious if its because of my hardware that im running on my pc to hdmi to my 1080p 55inch.

I think it's more likely the quality of the source material. The more compression used the worse the quality.  How does it work with an original BluRay as opposed to a streamed "rip".  High quality 1080p Blu Ray video may be around 20 mbps (approx 8.4 gigabytes per hour of video).  If you compress it to 10-20% of it's original size (quite possible) it's going to lose detail and quality.

If your computer cannot cope with playing HD video (and it should cope OK), that will normally show up as regular skipping on the video, rather than a reduction in quality.

Edited by jonuk76, 22 November 2016 - 09:00 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

That makes alot of sense.. If someone were to download a 9 gig 1080p movie and play it on there TV there shouldn't be any graphical issues ur saying. true 1080p quality.

#7 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:03 PM

That makes alot of sense.. If someone were to download a 9 gig 1080p movie and play it on there TV there shouldn't be any graphical issues ur saying. true 1080p quality.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:09 AM

I'd say it's worth investigating yes.  From further reading I've seen BluRay can have bit rates of 40 mbps+ although often a large percentage of that is taken up by lossless audio (e.g DTS-HD Master audio).  But clearly there's going to be a quality difference between that and something which has been compressed down to 1 or 2 gigabytes.

You might also try different software for viewing video.  Enthusiasts often use things like Media Player Classic HC rather than Windows Media Player, because it has a lot of options for tweaking (like using different video renderers).  I use the K-Lite Codec Pack which comes with MPC-HC and various tweaks..

Certainly these are things I would look at before considering changing hardware as that may result in disappointment if video quality is the only reason for upgrading :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:03 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zxWAZefYVEICewCvgCZMzY1

#10 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

got alittle busy the past few days wasnt able to reply as soon as i wanted too.. that speccy link is to my other computer ( has hdmi mini port on gpu ) tried hooking this computer up to my 70inch 4k vizio  and it showed the desktop and played a movie for about 10minutes and then went blank...i always use VLC as my media player. i will post my alienware speccy link soon. thanks for any info again. just trying to use my pc on this TV to watch movies/web browse. might end up spending like 800 on a new rig if i cant get these to perform right with the tv

#11 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:35 PM

bump?

#12 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:38 PM

hooked the computer up to my sony soundbar through one of the 3 hmdi out ports and it turned on fine on the 70 inch.. any one know why that could be? the internal amplifier/receiver in the soundbar gave it enough juice to go work or no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users