Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure how to go about upgrading

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SamuelBlackwood

SamuelBlackwood

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

So I've been in the market for a new CPU but while I was trying to find compatible ones with my motherboard I read somewhere that the best one that's also compatible is the FX-8350 which I found wasn't actually that much better than my amd FX-8320. So then I was looking into new motherboards, but the idea of installing a new motherboard scares me and I have no idea what's good when it comes to motherboards and such and what good cpu's are compatible. Really just unknown territory for me and I need some help. 

Current specs are:  - AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 

Asetek 510LC High Performance Liquid Cooling
ASUS M5A97 LESATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 {4 DDR3 Slots}
16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive - Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD Read: 540MB/s Write: 410MB/s
Secondary Hard Drive - 2TB 7200 RPM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Power Supply - Standard 700 Watt
(I know there's not a lot of specific information here, but I had the computer built for me and this was all they supplied.)

I have a 300-400 dollar price range, maybe 500 if there's a really good deal or something. I just have no idea what to do. Also I'm not exactly the most versed person is actually installing computer hardware, if I do upgrade my motherboard should I pay a professional to do it or am I just second guessing myself. I really don't want to mess up. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

With even $500 budget, you cannot upgrade that system to be Much better. So I suggest you save money for later and make bigger upgrade. You can of course buy bigger SSD if you feel so but for CPU/motherboard/memory there's nothing I can really recommend right now.

#3 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:27 PM

The only upgrades you could take in consideration could be:

-RAM: You could go for 32 by adding another 8x2 kit

-SSD: You could go for 250GB or even way more if you're willing to use your budget.

Other updates aren't worth the difference in price considering your actual build.

And even for these it's all up to what you do with your pc

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

CPU upgrade not worth, you're not going to see a difference.

Other than the upgrades suggested, if you are a gamer and really want high FPS, upgrade to GTX 1070, you can see some performance increase depend on the games, or just wait for Nvidia Volta expected to be released next year.

You can also upgrade to PCIe SSD for faster performance, but they are expensive. Samsung 950 Pro or Intel 750 is probably the best.

Edited by batman1234, 21 November 2016 - 10:10 PM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:46 PM

Well...what is the logic behind this desire to "upgrade"?  Is there any or it this just another one of those impulses that we all get...to just buy or put together something new?

I have a FX 8320 in this sytem and I periodically toy with the idea of replacing the MB, CPU, etc...but then reality sets in and I realize that this system does everything that I want it to do and there's no logical reason to replace anything unless something fails.

Louis

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

You have a quality motherboard and a nice CPU, and you can easily OC it to 4.0 GHZ which would be FX 8350 equivalent speed. As suggested above if you want to see a real tangible upgrade if it were me I would get something like a Kingston 480GB SSD for the extra game storage space. If you're gaming at 1080p your current setup is all you really need for now. It's a perfect system to hold onto until the new AMD and Intel processors are fully saturated into the marketplace.

Edited by Zone_86, 23 November 2016 - 05:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users