Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(Partial) system upgrade or not. Advice needed.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

My current system configuration is as follows:

ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional (purchased as refurbished in July 2012)

i7-3770K processor (purchased new in July 2012)

Seasonic Platinum SS-760XP 760 Watt, 20+24 Pins (purchased new in December 2012)

Kingston Genesis 4*4GB 2133MHz  DDR3 (purchased new in July 2012)

The motherboard has only six SATA ports which support drives >2TB and often almost all my RAM is used by photoshop and/or lightroom. I get a windows message saying "please close program x to free memory".

I have a lot of data and in the next couple of years I expect to running against my current available hard drive space, although I could upgrade some 4 TB and 6 TB drives to 8 TB, but this is quite expensive and the additional amount of 'new' disc space is not a lot since you also remove a 4 or 6 TB disc). Are there other solutions on getting more drives in a reliable way via SATA? I need SATA because I use a cloud backup program to backup my data, and this program only supports SATA drives. USB drives are disabled to be backed up in the software.

I am not a gamer, I don't even have a separate video card installed.

Because of the ram issues, I consider upgrading from 16 GB to 32 GB of RAM, which is the maximum amount supported by the motherboard. However, is this a wise thing to do with my current system (which is over four years old, but still running fine)? Would you just upgrade RAM or upgrade motherboard + processor as well? I think my processor is still fast enough and if I compare my i7-3770K (passmark: 9550) to, for instance a i7-5820k (passmark: 12,978), the difference is only 36%.

I see huge price differences in RAM and have no idea how much speed (MHz and latency time) is enough and how noticable the difference in MHz and latency time is. Any comments on this?

Summary: I'm a photographer and don't want to spend more money in my system than necessary, but maybe do need some upgrade. I'd rather spend it on photo gear.
Comments / suggestions / advice highly appreciated :D

Edited by nielsvanvelzen, 21 November 2016 - 02:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:07 PM

For SATA problems, you can buy PCI Express card that offer more SATA ports.

I see no reason to change CPU (Passmark is useless). When Zen arrives, then perhaps.

Buying 32GB DDR3 is quite expensive and with 8-core Zen you could use DDR4 which is much better investment. Zen is expected to be available 2017 February. I see no reason to upgrade for six core CPU (i7-5820K, i7-6800K) and Intel 8-core CPU's cost about $1000...

#3 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:16 PM

For SATA problems, you can buy PCI Express card that offer more SATA ports.

I see no reason to change CPU (Passmark is useless). When Zen arrives, then perhaps.

Buying 32GB DDR3 is quite expensive and with 8-core Zen you could use DDR4 which is much better investment. Zen is expected to be available 2017 February. I see no reason to upgrade for six core CPU (i7-5820K, i7-6800K) and Intel 8-core CPU's cost about $1000...

Thanks for your reply. What is ZEN? It's very annoying that I'm running against my RAM quite often, so something should change and getting 32 GB of RAM is cheaper than getting a full system upgrade, that's for sure. is ZEN worth the extra money over just replacing (adding more) RAM?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:28 PM

Zen is AMD's upcoming CPU. As AMD only manufacture 8-core dies at start and Zen is very cheap to manufacture, we can except very affordable 8-core CPU's. About speed, on good (not best case but good) scenario Zen matches equally clocked Intel Broadwell with same amount of cores. So 8 core Zen might be reasonable upgrade. Estimated availability February.

Another reason for upgrade is memory. As in case you want 32 GB RAM, you have to buy 4*8GB DDR3 and then current 4GB sticks are useless. Also DDR3 motherboard availability is getting worse all the time.

Then again, just upgrading memory is much cheaper than buying new CPU and motherboard. Your choice.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

Unless you are doing something which is resource intensive you shouldn't need any more than 8GB of RAM.  Even using a benchmark tool I doubt you would notice much of any difference after doubling the amount of RAM.  For this reason I don't believe adding more RAM is effective or worth the expenditure.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users