Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Windows Xp Update Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 janbas

janbas

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

Hello everyone!

I desperately need your help

I have Windows XP installed on my computer and I have a problem:

Yesterday I got an automatic message saying that there are new updates and asked me to install them.
I have installed the updates (as I always do, it wasn't the first time) thinking those are security updates.
But today, as I turned on the computer, I find out that this update has nothing to do with security.
Each time I restart the computer, when the windows XP logo starts to appear, I get a message from "Windows Update Center" saying that the version that is installed on my computer isn't Genuine version, and it asks me to buy the Genuine version.
Needless to say, I'm not interested in buying this Genuine version, and I have to click "install later" in order for my Windows to show.
I was gonna delete this update from the "add/remove programs" in control panel but it turns out this update is not deletable.

Can anyone please suggest a sneaky sophisticated way I can delete this update?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 putergeekgirl

putergeekgirl

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

If you have a legit copy of XP and its not working, I would suggest contacting MS.

#3 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

you could try a system restore to before the update was installed, tho i dont know if it will work.

but i think this will only pospone the inevitable if your copy isnt legal (billy boy has your details now!) you're better suffering the pain and getting a legal copy, or try any of the multitude of free linux distros available.

#4 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

There are at least 15 ways to bypass the WGA, this site's policy is that of not helping those who have ilegal copies of XP so I cannot say more but you will soon find the answer if...
everyday is a gift

#5 missyj

missyj

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:45 AM

Morning all,

I have the same problem and I have legit XPsoftware. I try to go and download security updates and when it asks me to download ActiveX, which I do, it still tells me I don't have it, though no error came up to say it wasn't downloaded. Also can't access Yahoo mail or MSN mail.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

Hello missyj

It would be more constructive if you were to start your own topic. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:51 AM

There are known problems with the WGA - but they are fixable by a call to Microsoft.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users