Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

picking hot spots

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:03 AM

I am using Xfinity hotspots in a building. I get about 3-4 xfinity hot spots. Windows 7 picks out 1 of those 4 automatically, I believe the strongest signal. Unfortunately, that signal no longer gives me internet access. The less strong xfinity hot spots do allow internet access.

How can I over-ride how Windows 7 automatically picks which 1? all I have is an external wifi adapter with an antenna. No modem.

Is there any software tool (or hardware, like a router?) that would give me the ability to pick within xfinity hot spots? Btw, I have no modem.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2016 - 11:48 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:25 PM

Are all the Xfinity hotspots the same name(SSID)? If not, click on the wireless icon in the bottom right the click "Network and Sharing Center" > Manage wireless Networks > Remove the hotspot name you don't want to connect to.

If they are all the same name, then you would need some kind of software on the PC to override Windows wireless and allow it to only connect to wireless networks by their MAC address (BSSID). Some wireless adapters, like Intel, bundle the software with the computer. What manufacture wireless adapter do you have and do run the software for it?

#3 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

Are all the Xfinity hotspots the same name(SSID)? If not, click on the wireless icon in the bottom right the click "Network and Sharing Center" > Manage wireless Networks > Remove the hotspot name you don't want to connect to.

If they are all the same name, then you would need some kind of software on the PC to override Windows wireless and allow it to only connect to wireless networks by their MAC address (BSSID). Some wireless adapters, like Intel, bundle the software with the computer. What manufacture wireless adapter do you have and do run the software for it

Yes, all same SSID. I have an Alfa AWUSO36NH High Gain USB Wireless G / N Long-Rang WiFi Network Adapter.

Any ideas on software I could use?

Could I use a router? I've been told yes and no, that I need a modem for all routers. Thanks.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:01 AM

Sorry, I don't know any software compatible with that hardware. And no, AFAIK you can't use a router.

#5 Stalebread

Stalebread

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:15 AM

I have a laptop running 24/7 with Connectify installed (it turns your laptop into a router), as well as a USB high gain antenna. So the laptop is connected to 'xfinitywifi', while Connectify shares this connection and makes a virtual router with a wifi name of your choosing, which I can then connect to on another device. The speed isn't great (wifi hotspots top out at 16mbps and I rarely reach that speed), but it has been fine for watching videos and such. Once you are signed in on the router-laptop, it never seems to disconnect me or force me to log in again either. This would allow your device to connect to a single network while moving around. Your laptop would remain stationary in a spot that gets the best connection to xfinity wifi, in turn that strong signal is then reliably boosted over a more stable network. I.e. Connection doesn't constantly cut in and out by moving a half an inch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users