Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Ubuntu 16.04 installation disk detect old Ubuntu install and update it

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 garvind25

garvind25

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hi,

I have a windows and ubuntu dual boot system in which the windows installation has gone corrupt. Pls. see the BP discussion here for details. Hence I need to reinstall it. After windows reinstall, the grub will go corrupt and I will need to fix it. My query is that if I use a Ubuntu 16.04 installation pendrive, will it detect the old installation, update my present 15.10 install and repair grub at the same time?

Thanks,

Arvind Gupta.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

Hi Arvind,

will it detect the old installation

Yes.

update my present 15.10 install

No.

repair grub

No.

You may be able to upgrade 15.10 to 16.04, even though 15.10 is no longer supported. Scroll down this page to instructions: "To upgrade to a new release:"
http://askubuntu.com/questions/91815/how-to-install-software-or-upgrade-from-an-old-unsupported-release?rq=1

After reinstalling Windows, you will be able to fix Grub in Ubuntu 16.04, using Ubuntu 16.04 installation media (such as a flash drive or DVD). We can post instructions on how to do that when the time comes for you to do so.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

@Al1000, I believe the OP is installing Windows XP first then the Ubuntu upgrade. If doing it in this order would not Ubuntu replace grub after detecting the XP install? Edit: From your post, if I understand correctly, installing XP first then 16.04 would wipe the previous Ubuntu install which requires any data on Ubuntu to be backed up first?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 November 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#4 garvind25

garvind25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:51 AM

OK... lets brek it up. After installing Win XP how do I repair grub to get back my old Ubuntu 15.10? Maybe after that, I will upgrade to 16.04.

Thanks,

Arvind Gupta.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:55 AM

Fixing Grub is not all that difficult, but I would get rid of 15.10 and install 16.04 over it, after backing up all personal files.  Grub will be reinstalled in the process.  As for fixing grub now, I'll let others explain that.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,187 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:05 AM

@Al1000, I believe the OP is installing Windows XP first then the Ubuntu upgrade. If doing it in this order would not Ubuntu replace grub after detecting the XP install?

Yes. But the OP would still not be able to upgrade Ubuntu 15.10 using Ubuntu 16.04 install media; upgrading would have to be done from within 15.10

Edit: From your post, if I understand correctly, installing XP first then 16.04 would wipe the previous Ubuntu install which requires any data on Ubuntu to be backed up first?

I haven't covered installing from 16.04 installation media (yet), because the OP said he wants to upgrade 15.10 to 16.04.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,187 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:13 AM

OK... lets brek it up. After installing Win XP how do I repair grub to get back my old Ubuntu 15.10? Maybe after that, I will upgrade to 16.04.

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta.

It's the same procedure that you would use to fix Grub in 16.04, expect that you need 15.10 installation media. Basically I would ask you to post the output of a command, then based on the output I would then post some more commands for you to run. It's call the "chroot" method - if you're curious enough to look it up.

Why are you considering sticking with an insecure version of Ubuntu (15.10), instead of upgrading to a secure version?

#8 garvind25

garvind25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:01 AM

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta.

It's the same procedure that you would use to fix Grub in 16.04, expect that you need 15.10 installation media. Basically I would ask you to post the output of a command, then based on the output I would then post some more commands for you to run. It's call the "chroot" method - if you're curious enough to look it up.

Why are you considering sticking with an insecure version of Ubuntu (15.10), instead of upgrading to a secure version?

I am not interested in keeping an old version of ubuntu. I just want to make sure that things go smoothly. What I can deduce from all the discussion is that the better method would be to simply backup Windows C drive and Linux partition data, install windows from a bootable pendrive, then install ubuntu 16.04 over the previous ubuntu installtion and finally restore data to the locations. Just one more help: is there any way to get a list of programs installed in ubuntu. For windows, I can do so from program files.

Thanks,

Arvind Gupta

Edited by garvind25, 22 November 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,187 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:36 AM

...the better method would be to simply backup Windows C drive and Linux partition data, install windows from a bootable pendrive, then install ubuntu 16.04 over the previous ubuntu installtion and finally restore data to the locations.

Yes.

GNU/Linux software is built from packages. You can list all installed packages in a terminal, but because the list is quite long I suggest saving it to a file to view it.

Open a terminal and run this command, to save a list of installed packages to a file called list_of_installed_packages in your user's home directory:
apt list --installed > ~/list_of_installed_packages

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:58 PM

Hi garvind25.

@Al1000:

Al, the following is seen at the prompt, in Ubuntu 16.04 (& thus likely in 15.10 Wily Werewolf) which may confuse the OP:

chris@toshi:~$ apt list --installed > ~/list_of_installed_packages

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

chris@toshi:~$

BUT, as you say, .... it does in fact generate its own file.

More easily readable is generated, likewise, in your pwd (present working directory), from the following:

dpkg --get-selections > installed-software

This generates another text file, considerably smaller, called "installed-software", and a small sample from around the t's is in the spoiler below

Spoiler

The main difference between the two is that the first command also lists current versions and architecture.

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users