Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I run Photoshop without GPU or built in graphic ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 skynet16

skynet16

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

Hi!

I am going to purchase a new desktop computer with Intel® Core™ i7-6800K processor and GTX 1070 GPu. But right now I don't have enough money to purchase both so I decided to purchase the GPU later.

But the problem is Intel® Core™ i7-6800K doesn't have any Processor Graphics. So if I dont have any GPU can I run photoshop or other photo tools like paint on it?

I am really confused what to do now. Please advice me.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2016 - 10:05 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:52 AM

What motherboard?

"1024 x 768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB of dedicated VRAM; 2 GB is recommended*"

Above reflect graphics system requirements for PS, per Adobe.  Those requirements are easily met by many a graphics card fitting a PCiE slot.  In fact...Amazon has a slew of used cards meeting those requirements...for about $1 each.  Examples.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2016 - 10:04 AM.

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:22 AM

I agree with Louis. We do need to know the variety of motherboard in use.

As I understand it, motherboards, years ago, almost always had some kind of basic, built-in graphics processor. These days, I believe there is an increasing tendency to not build such functionality into many boards. In other words, to have any kind of display at all, you must have a graphics card installed.

It seems rather silly to me, to have a system where you can't even use it without investing in even more hardware. Yet this is the preferred 'modus operandi' of many who build their own systems; the thinking apparently being that if you're specifying every component for your system, you would doubtless like to specify the GPU as well. Many who system-build are 'gamers', who naturally want the most powerful graphics processor they can afford.

Let us know which motherboard, please, and we should be able to answer your query with a greater degree of certainty.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:36 AM

Hi!

I am going to purchase a new desktop computer with Intel® Core™ i7-6800K processor and GTX 1070 GPu. But right now I don't have enough money to purchase both so I decided to purchase the GPU later.

AMD Zen should be faster than i7-6800K and much cheaper so I recommend waiting until January launch. Availability probably February.

Also LGA2011-3 platform is quite old already and Intel is preparing new one.

Two good reasons why it's bad time to buy i7-6800K.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:54 AM

What Mike_Walsh was trying to explain is there are two types of GPUs (Graphic Processing Unit), integrated which is a IC chip on the motherboard, and the dedicated GPUs which are installed in a PCI-E slot.  There are still a lot of computers being sold that use integrated graphics and have a appropriate PCI-E as well so a dedicated GPU can be used.  This would work well for you intentions, to add the GPU later.  If you post the make and model of the computer you are considering we can make other suggestions.

Drilling Machine is correct, to an extent, but there will always be new technology hitting store shelves.  This does not mean that you should purchase the latest and greatest technology.  Because there is new technology always coming out there is a continuous pattern where the new technology will start off rather expensive and eventually toward the approach of newer technology the price will go down.  This means that you can purchase what is still being sold at a better price.  A good part of this will depend on just what you intend on doing with this computer.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 skynet16

skynet16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:15 AM

Hi!

Thanks for the response. Here is thefull config

Monitor - Asus VN248H
ASUS X99-A II MOTHERBOARD
Intel Skylake Core i7 6800K
Corsair Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
Cooler Master Casing MasterCase 5
Western Digital 2TB 3.5" BLUE HDD WD20EZRZ
Cooler Master HYPER 212X
CORSAIR 120GB SSD FORCE LS (F120GBLSB)
GTX Dual 1070
Corsair VS550 Power Supply

Thanks.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:18 AM

Hi!

Thanks for the response. Here is thefull config

Monitor - Asus VN248H
ASUS X99-A II MOTHERBOARD
Intel Skylake Core i7 6800K
Corsair Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
Cooler Master Casing MasterCase 5
Western Digital 2TB 3.5" BLUE HDD WD20EZRZ
Cooler Master HYPER 212X
CORSAIR 120GB SSD FORCE LS (F120GBLSB)
GTX Dual 1070
Corsair VS550 Power Supply

Thanks.

Well, third good reason there. i7-6800K is NOT Skylake.

Also SSD is very small and PSU too low quality considering other parts. If you cannot afford to buy better ones, save more money.

#8 skynet16

skynet16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

Hi!

AMD Zen should be faster than i7-6800K and much cheaper so I recommend waiting until January launch. Availability probably February.

Also LGA2011-3 platform is quite old already and Intel is preparing new one.

Two good reasons why it's bad time to buy i7-6800K.

I am not a gamer actually. I do mostly development related work and that's why I need a faster and multicore processor for heavy multitasking. What do you suggest?

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

I am not a gamer actually. I do mostly development related work and that's why I need a faster and multicore processor for heavy multitasking. What do you suggest?

Same as previously. When Zen is available (February?), you probably can get 8 core Zen lot cheaper than 6 core Intel.

Another option is to wait for Intel's LGA-2066 that replaces a bit outdated LGA2011-3. ETA "summer 2017" or something.

So because there are no Skylake six cores (or more), LGA2011-3 is going to be replaced soon and Zen launches on about three months, it's bad time to buy i7-6800K.

It's always goes like this. There are "good times" and "bad times" to buy certain products. i7-6800K is already on bad time, worst time to buy is probably one day before Zen is available or one day before LGA2066 is available. Those are propbbly three months  and six months away respectively.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 21 November 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

Hi, skynet.

To answer your original question, from the following Intel spec-sheet, the X-99 chipset is for the high-end and enthusiast segment of Intel's clientele. Translation; gamers, video processing, etc. In other words, people who are always going to want a discrete GPU.....so, no; the X-99 does not have built-in graphics (and the Asus X 99 II-A board doesn't contain an integrated graphics chip).

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/x99-chipset.html

In other words, without a graphics card installed, I don't think it will be usable, until you can obtain your GTX1070.

I could of course, be wrong. I frequently am....and this is not really my sphere of expertise.

Drillingmachine will probably have a better answer for you than mine..! And because enthusiasts always want the newest and best, they tend to advise everyone else from that particular viewpoint. All I can suggest is that you get as many different pieces of advice as you can.....and then, you've got to make your own mind up as to the course of action you wish to pursue.

I run Photoshop CS2 on a 12yr-old Compaq desktop, from an MSI MS-7093 mobo, with a dual-core Athlon64 X2, 3 GB of RAM, and ATI Radeon integrated graphics.....and it works fine for me. But that's because my OS only uses around 250 MB of RAM in total..!

What Mike_Walsh was trying to explain is there are two types of GPUs (Graphic Processing Unit), integrated which is a IC chip on the motherboard, and the dedicated GPUs which are installed in a PCI-E slot.  There are still a lot of computers being sold that use integrated graphics and have a appropriate PCI-E as well so a dedicated GPU can be used.  This would work well for you intentions, to add the GPU later.

Thanks for that, dc3! I've been around the block for enough years that I know about all this stuff in principle....but I'm not always that good at explaining myself! Discrete GPUs have never held the slightest interest for me; got no use for them.

I have friends who are dedicated gamers. They're very good friends.....but to a man, they are absolutely single-minded in their pursuit of the newest, best, most expensive, most powerful hardware they can possibly get their hands on; and their 'advice' tends to reflect that. The only snag is, it's not always the best or most relevant advice for everyone.....

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 November 2016 - 12:58 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

Today integrated GPU's are almost always on CPU. And as i7-6800K has no integrated GPU, external GPU is needed.

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:46 PM

Today integrated GPU's are almost always on CPU. And as i7-6800K has no integrated GPU, external GPU is needed.

And that is, of course, the other side of the equation. Thanks, drillingmachine.....I'd forgotten that fact. Probably because I've never yet used an APU..!

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users