Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly restarts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drz400dude

drz400dude

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:02 PM

Here is my setup

It's usually when I am playing games (lately, BF1). It isn't getting hot. I'm running a temp monitor and my hottest core on the processor is getting to about 75 max, usually hovers around 65.

PC parts picker gives me a message saying "The Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2800 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Ivy Bridge CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

On a side note I have the 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C11 version, but PCPP didn't have it listed. I also have the 3770K OC to 4.2.

It restarts, no error messages or anything. It's as if someone just pressed the reset button.

Edited by drz400dude, 20 November 2016 - 06:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:59 PM

Here is my setup

It's usually when I am playing games (lately, BF1). It isn't getting hot. I'm running a temp monitor and my hottest core on the processor is getting to about 75 max, usually hovers around 65.

PC parts picker gives me a message saying "The Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2800 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Ivy Bridge CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

On a side note I have the 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C11 version, but PCPP didn't have it listed. I also have the 3770K OC to 4.2.

It restarts, no error messages or anything. It's as if someone just pressed the reset button.

Hi,

You might want to go to the event log to see what it says when the restarts occur?

P.S: I won't rule out that your power supply is failing. Lets just keep our fingers cross.

Thanks.

#3 drz400dude

drz400dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

Here is my setup

Hi,

You might want to go to the event log to see what it says when the restarts occur?

P.S: I won't rule out that your power supply is failing. Lets just keep our fingers cross.

Thanks

I forgot about checking that. I have a few errors, so I'll have to go again until it does it, then go in and check it immediately after. 

I thought it may be the PSU, but I wanted to rule out other stuff first if I could. Troubleshooting by buying new parts gets expensive!

I'll see if I can isolate an error as a result of the shut downs. Thanks!

#4 JinXiang91

JinXiang91

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:02 PM

Here is my setup

Hi,

Thanks

I forgot about checking that. I have a few errors, so I'll have to go again until it does it, then go in and check it immediately after. 

I thought it may be the PSU, but I wanted to rule out other stuff first if I could. Troubleshooting by buying new parts gets expensive!

Hi

Yup, we understand that replacing a parts is a blow to consumers. If we can try to tackle it by software that would be the most ideal.

Ok, will wait for the report/news.

Thanks.

#5 drz400dude

drz400dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:51 PM

Here is my setup

Hi,

Thanks

Hi

Yup, we understand that replacing a parts is a blow to consumers. If we can try to tackle it by software that would be the most ideal.

Ok, will wait for the report/news.

Thanks.

It happened again, and I saved the system event log during the time it happened. I don't see anything that sticks out. I saved it, but not sure how to upload it on here.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:20 AM

Just my 2¢ here, but I'd suggest removing the overclock on the system and testing with the system in a stock configuration.

Long ago I learned that the first troubleshooting step in an overclocked system is to remove the overclock. This is for 2 reasons:
1) in case the overclock is at fault (and it hasn't damaged any hardware yet) - this will fix the problem.
2) the tests we use for troubleshooting are based on a standard system operating normally - so an overclocked system won't necessarily give correct results because of the stress on the components. This is why I recommend stopping the overclock completely while troubleshooting.

Also, I found that overclocks will degrade over time - the system just won't be able to hold a high overclock forever. The system will get older and it's tolerance for this sort of stress will lessen - resulting in more errors.

Finally, hardware errors aren't necessarily just hardware, they can be:
- borked (broken) hardware (several different procedures used to isolate the problem device)
- BIOS problems (check for updates at the motherboard manufacturer's website)
- overclocking - You'll know if you're overclocking or not. If uncertain we can suggest things to check.

- overheating - not all components have temperature sensors, so they can overheat without you being aware of it (even if you're using a temp monitor)
- compatibility issues (3rd party hardware/drivers)
- low-level driver problems
- or even malware (scanned for when we ask for hardware diagnostics from Initial Hardware Diagnostics or Hardware Diagnostics ).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users