Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't get yahoo set up in Microsoft outlook 2007

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 757Pirate

757Pirate

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

I have followed all the directions... (I think) a number of times, but a test email always fails in the outbox and continually asks for password.  What am I missing?

Mod Edit:  Merged topics/posts - Hamluis.
We just changed to Verizon from Cox.. had to sign up for a new email server.  Trying to get Yahoo to work with Outlook.. and they won't connect.  Can anyone help?  Already posted this under email forum.. no responses. Need immediate response, we use the email for business.

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2016 - 07:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:52 PM

Hi:

We just changed to Verizon from Cox.. had to sign up for a new email server.  Trying to get Yahoo to work with Outlook.. and they won't connect.  Can anyone help?  Already posted this under email forum.. no responses. Need immediate response, we use the email for business.  

If I understand your issue correctly, you are trying to configure Outlook (an email client) to access your Yahoo! mail account (a webmail service).

I use neither Outlook nor Yahoo! mail, but setting up a webmail account in an email client ought NOT to be dependent on your ISP's server settings.

Unless I misunderstand your issue, the inbound (POP3 or IMAP) and outbound (SMTP) settings would be the same YAHOO server settings, under Verizon, Cox or any other ISP, would they not???

In other words, I'm not sure why changing ISPs has disrupted your webmail service.

In any event, until someone more expert comes along, it would help to know a bit more info, such as:

• What version of Outlook?
  • POP3 or IMAP?
  • What is the EXACT text of the error message you see?
  • Is the problem with incoming messages (receiving), outgoing messages (sending) or both?
  • Can you access your yahoo! mail from the yahoo webmail interface via a browser?
  • Have you contacted Cox for help with email account configuration & support (if you have Business class internet, they ought to have pretty robust support)?

If you could provide answers to those questions, it would help us to better help you,

MM

#3 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:38 PM

Our iphones set up outlook without a problem... I can't seem to find the exact set up for PCs to accept yahoo as client for outgoing mail regardless of directions I am using. I have no error msgs per se.. They just fail to send. and yes..  the YAHOO account seems to be fine, just want to be seamless with Microsoft Outlook 2007.

ps.. thank you for responding.. been at this all day and not much help anywhere so far.  Anything you can offer is a help!!

Edited by 757Pirate, 20 November 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

Hi:

Thanks for the info.

We now know it's Outlook 2007.

But we're still missing some critical data -- as requested in the previous reply -- to help us better assist you.

Also, yahoo! mail is NOT an email "client".

It's a webmail service.

Your "email client" is Outlook.

(I mention that only to avoid creating more confusion, not to nit-pick.)

If you had your yahoo account correctly configured in Outlook 2007 under Verizon, it still ought to work under Cox, because you would be using the same yahoo server settings.

The only thing I can think of since this seems to be a problem only with SENDING, not receiving, is that you need to adjust the outgoing (SMTP) server settings in Outlook, if you are routing your outgoing messages through your ISP.

But, as I suggested, since you say this is for a Business, you might want to contact Cox support.  Most ISPs provide pretty robust tech support for their Business customers.

Until then, perhaps try here:

This is for residential, not business: http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=38611eb0-bc75-11e1-eb46-000000000000

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=%7Ba8fb24c0-6440-11df-ccef-000000000000%7D

MM

#5 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:17 PM

no.. we had Cox webmail and always used Outlook 2007.  We switched to Verizon today and they do not have a webmail svc so we were forced to set up a webmail service.  We chose Yahoo over Gmail.. not that there is much difference in my opinion. Our smart phones all accepted the setup change for email, but for some reason I cannot seem to "force" our PCs to accept Outlook to send/receive email no matter the instructions from any source I have searched.  Desperate for any advice so we can move forward to do business on pcs' tomorrow..    (been at this all day)

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:43 PM

Hi:

There still seems to be some confusion about terminology. That is making it hard to help.

>>SORRY, I thought you had switched from Verizon to Cox. I misread that.<<<

"Cox" is an ISP, not a webmail service.  ISPs offer email accounts that can be accessed via an installed email client, such as Outlook, and (in many cases) via a web interface, via the internet.  For example: "username123@Cox.net"

"Verizon" is an ISP, not a webmail service.  As an ISP, they would offer ISP email accounts to their customers, just like Cox. For example: "username123@verizon.net"

AFAIK ISPs do not provide webmail service.  They provide ISP email accounts.  And some of them provide access to those ISP accounts via a webmail site.

For example, I can access my ISP account "me123@ny.rr.com" either from my email client (Thunderbird), or by logging in at "webmail.ny.rr.com"

"Yahoo mail", like gmail, is a webmail service.  You would have an email address such as "username123@yahoo.com".  You ought to be able to access this account 2 ways: directly from an internet browser at mail.yahoo.com; and from your installed email client (when you set up the account in Outlook).  Unless you route your messages through your ISP, you ought to be able to use the standard yahoo mail server settings in Outlook for both sending and receiving.

Outlook is an email client.  It can be set up to handle both ISP mail accounts and webmail accounts, such as yahoo! mail.

I'm sorry, but we seem to be going around in circles.

Support is a two-way endeavor. 

We are not in front of your computer. 

Without answers to the basic questions I asked, I don't think I can help much.

I understand that you are tired and frustrated -- computer issues (especially with email) can be very confusing and challenging.

I suggest that you please wait for someone else to assist you here -- there's bound to be someone who uses Verizon for their ISP, Outlook for their email client and yahoo for their webmail.

They will be able to better assist you.

Or perhaps try contacting VERIZON.  Whether Cox or Verizon or Comcast or Spectrum or Charter, your ISP ought to be able to provide robust support to their Business customers (that's why you pay them all that $$):

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/announcements/general-announcements01.htm

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/email/settings

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/announcements/email-announcements

Good luck,

MM

#7 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:57 PM

My last gasp:

POP:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/yahoo-mail-pop-settings-sln4724.html

IMAP:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

That's about it for me tonight, I'm afraid.

I hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,

MM

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:31 AM

My guess is you aren't configuring your outbound email for authentication. Also remeber the "From" line in the email has to be your Yahoo address while using Yahoo SMTP server. Verizon no longer allows sending other domain's email (yahoo.com) on their SMTP server.

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes

Edited by Trikein, 21 November 2016 - 07:38 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:34 AM

FWIW:  IME...the email client website...will provide instructions for such changes.

Louis

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:12 AM

My guess is you aren't configuring your outbound email for authentication. Also remeber the "From" line in the email has to be your Yahoo address while using Yahoo SMTP server.

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires authentication - Yes

Yep, those match the ones in the yahoo links.

Verizon no longer allows sending other domain's email (yahoo.com) on their SMTP server.

Yep, I had a feeling that might be the case.
That's why I was confused by the OP's description of the problem.
As I mentioned WAY back at the beginning, one would use the YAHOO server settings, not the ISP's.
As such it does not matter which ISP or (for that matter) which email client, as long as the POP/IMAP and SMTP server settings match those for yahoo.

FWIW: IME...the email client website...will provide instructions for such changes.

Excellent tip! Thanks for that!

I hope you get it solved @757Pirate.

Cheers,

MM

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users