Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To upgrade or Just Startover

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:56 PM

So i have a existing computer that i believe the motherboard just took a crap out on me and i probably should upgrade the PSU and the Case is also cracked.

Existing Setup 

CPU: FX 8120                   

Mobo: MSI 970 Gaming (76$ to buy)

Memory: Patriot Signature 2x4GB

GPU: EVGA GT 730

Storage: 64GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2TB 7200

Disc Drive: 2 DVD-RW

Case: Fractal Midi R2 (75$ to buy)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 (69$ to buy)

---------------------------------------------------------

Total Cost 220$ 

Otherwise this is my other thought out option and save money by using my storage options on the build below, i just kind of threw something together and i wasn't sure if it would the best build or not.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($6.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($77.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($68.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $723.69

Edited by diagnosedaskaz, 20 November 2016 - 04:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:22 AM

For new system, I would wait for at least January when AMD Zen is launched.

That "repair" choice seems much wiser right now.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 21 November 2016 - 05:22 AM.

#3 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:50 AM

Is there a idea of how zen will compare to the latest Intel processors? And will it be a FM3+?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:15 AM

Is there a idea of how zen will compare to the latest Intel processors? And will it be a FM3+?

IPC wise Zen is on par with Broadwell on good case scenario. So basically cheap low clock, 8 core version of Zen competes with i7-6850K (Intel six core with higher clocks). Top class Zen competes with i7-6900K. However since AMD only produces 8 core Zen's (and then CPU's are made from either 1, 2 or 4 of those), AMD can cherry pick better parts for 16 and 32 core CPU's and probably only worst ones are sold for desktop. So clocks may be bit low on desktop parts and perhaps there is no "top class" 8 core Zen.

As Zen is very cheap to produce (core is cheaper than on RX480 video card), prices will probably be low.

Socket will be AM4 (previously it "was" FM3).

#5 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

There's that, but what about deals this holiday season? Is Zen really that comparable to some of the deals you would see? Just wondering... :)

Edit: That upgrade does look nice, though. :D

Edited by Kakuzu, 21 November 2016 - 02:12 PM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:03 PM

I expect yes. CPU's rarely have huge discounts.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:23 PM

Well for now replace, as we really dont know the pricing of the new AMD chips plus you will need new hardware anyhow.

If you can cheap it then just replace for now, dont go overboard.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

Well for now replace, as we really dont know the pricing of the new AMD chips plus you will need new hardware anyhow.

If you can cheap it then just replace for now, dont go overboard.

We don't know exactly but we can expect pricing to be very competitive because 1. Zen is very cheap to produce 2. AMD needs money. 3. even Zen is cheap, average selling price is much higher than with current AMD CPU's. 4. AMD always sell cheaper than Intel, even they have better parts.

Also going from octa core (FX-8210) to quad core (6600K) is going backwards on many aspects.

So yes, Zen pricing will be very competitive.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

Still if they need parts now then yeah replace then sometime later upgrade.

I still rather see what the prices of the zen chips will be, not like I dont like AMD I actually have no issue with AMD but zen pricing is still unknown

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 November 2016 - 03:37 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

Good discussion, but let's not confuse this of course... @diagnosedaskaz - Are these reviews enough or do you need something more sufficient then? I'm hoping you can find a good "fit" for your computer. :)

#11 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:43 PM

I'm kind of worried about the whole zen thing because if it's gonna cost similar to i5/i7 pricing then it is what it is. I don't expect it to beat Intel. But right now I'm temporarily using a A4-3400 which got processing power it's a little slow but I took that gt 730 gpu and placed it in that computer and it can run decent fps in the games I tend to play but obviously the cpu holds it back a little and as far as my fx8120 which is obviously faster then a A4, maybe I'd be upgrading to a new generation or waiting for zen to discount the existing cpu's or if buying a different cpu is the better option maybe flip to Intel and get a i5.

#12 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:11 PM

So... a watch and wait scenario then?

#13 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:54 PM

So... a watch and wait scenario then?

it somewhat pains me to look at my unworking computer i almost wish i could drop the 50-75$ to just get a motherboard just to get things back running. my power supply i believe is still good, just not sure if it would be able to handle the new load of the GT 730. my existing PSU is a Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W. The only things i don't have listed is my storage options are as followed 1 64GB SSD, 1TB 7200. 2TB 7200, and because i'm paranoid about heat i had about 4-5 120mm fans as well.                                                                             

#14 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:04 PM

You are well minded to take things carefully, because adding a new part without making sure all the other parts are going to survive is potentially detrimental. :clapping:

When I was beginning tech repair 15 years ago, I added a new RAM chip (not close to the bus speed the board need... in fact, way over), and the RAM quit working and the PC became worse (in terms of slowness). I decided to replace it with the correct RAM after that lesson learned.

#15 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

yeah im just kind of confused on what to do, because waiting for ken would mean my cpu would no longer be needed anymore.

Edited by diagnosedaskaz, 21 November 2016 - 07:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users