Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why are my computers hanging?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Toller

Toller

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:54 PM

I have three computers; all W10, 4gb, Edge Browser.  One is fine.  The other two are suffering badly.  They get really really slow, taking minutes to do stuff that should take seconds.  Rebooting fixes them, but it can take 10 minutes to get them to reboot.

It has been happening rarely on my wife's for weeks, but got bad on Tuesday.  Assuming it was a virus, I ran 3 different scans (Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes, and Panda) without finding anything.  I figured free software wasn't cutting it, so I bought Bitdefender on Wednesday, but it didn't find anything either.

On Thursday my computer started doing the same thing.

On Tuesday they did the Windows10 incremental update, but since my was fine for 2 days, I doubt that was responsible. 

I checked wife's reliability history and it showed a lot of "Microsoft Edge   Stopped Working" entries.  I matched several of the times to the few times when she was using Nordstrom.com.  I went to Nordstrom.com on my computer and it caused Edge to stop working also; twice.  (though I tried it on the third computer without problem)  I emailed Nordstom, but they assure me there are no compatibility issues.

Lastly, when I looked at the task manager (which is really difficult to do when the computer is hung...) it can show Edge using up to 1.5gb, when it is normally about 75mb.  It sometimes happens when Edge isn't (apparently) open, but as I said, checking Task Manager is tough.

So I have two questions:

1) Do you have any suggestions about how I go about fixing/diagnosing this problem?

2) Assuming it is all Edge, is there anyway to get favorites to another browser?  My wife has hundreds of favorites and isn't going to like it if I tell her she has lost them.  (It was probably stupid of me to use a browser that doesn't let you export favorites, but that boat has sailed)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:35 PM

It is not Edge.  Edge is fast.  There is something else wrong.  Open command prompt as administrator and type in
sfc /scannow
Hopefully it will find something, and fix it.

I just went to Nordstrom.com on Edge, and it showed using 18.8 MB.

Also if you are signed in with a Microsoft account, and need to reinstall Windows to fix the problem, all bookmarks are synced, and will be saved. You will not lose them.

Edited by dhjohns, 20 November 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#3 Toller

Toller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

I ran Glary Utilities "repair system files".  I think that is the same thing.  It didn't find anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users