Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cranky Firefox 50.0 upload

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

Since the latest Firefox update to 50.0 I had minor issues, occasional browser lock up, videos not playing on certain sites.  This happened on all three of my machines, being as it was on all three I had to suspect the browser.  I removed Firefox from all three today then did a fresh load on all three, now all work perfectly.  If you are having similar issues follow my lead and get a fresh load, I have relied on updates only for may years without a hitch.  None of the issues were in Internet Explorer!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:40 PM

Sounds like a issue with two new features added;

Increased availability of WebGL to more than 98 percent of users on Windows 7 and newer

Playback video on more sites without plugins with WebM EME Support for Widevine on Windows and Mac

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:09 PM

Hi:

No issues here with 32-bit Fx 50 under Win10 (1 desktop) and Win7 (1 desktop and 1 laptop).

But each system is unique.

Cheers,

MM

<just curious> What did you mean in the subject line by "upload"?  Do you mean instead a *download* of the Fx50 installer/setup file?  (Upload is from the user's computer up to the 'net. Download is getting something from the 'net *down* to the user's computer.) :unsure:

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:39 PM

My three are a mish mosh!  6-7 year old Acer mini with a recent reload of 7 starter, 3 year old Toshiba laptop with w/7 home, 4 year old custom tower w/7 Pro listed in my profile.  All three exhibited the exact same issues on the same sites same amount of freezes.  Sitting here thinking about this I think I have a common thread!  All three had Add blocker plus, they all now have Ublock, has me thinking ABP may have been the culprit.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

Hi:

Yes, most Fx performance problems originate in the user's profile, not in the program itself.

That's why -- in many cases -- reinstalling the program does NOT fix the problem.

FWIW, I have ABP on all 3 boxes and have none of the issues you report.

But there had been complaints by some users at other fora about slow page loads with ABP.

Given the ginormous degree of customization Fx undergoes on each computer, it's hard to provide specific advice.

What works on 1 computer may or may not work on another.

It sounds as if may have been some combination of both profile and (perhaps) program problems on your systems.

For future reference, if it happens again, there are excellent tutorials on how to troubleshoot slowness, crashing and other performance problems.

Here are just two of the best:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox/fix-problems/procedures-diagnose-and-fix-problems

Cheers,

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users